Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can I please have some hugs

Default can I please have some hugs

So the past month or two I've posted several times about my battle with recurrent plugged ducts. Basically I've had so many plugs I couldn't keep track anymore. I've been having them every week the past 1.5 month, many times multiple plugs on both breasts. I've tried every.single recommended treatment for plugs. I've been taking soy lecithin for over a month. Two weeks ago I started ultrasound therapy in the hope to treat a HUGE plugged area and also to prevent them from recurring, which I read on Dr. Jack Newman's site. Well after 5/6 prescribed u/s treatments I'm still having plugs, even though the huge one I came in to treat has almost cleared. Right now I'm not having any big, clear plugs BUT both my breasts still feel funny, kind of stiff and not normal and not all soft and nice (though def. softer) even after DD nurses. The past several days I've applied moist heat (I use an electric heating pad) on my breasts before each and every feeding. My DD is 14.25MO and I'm still offering to nurse 10-12x/day. I feel much better about my supply these past few days (the heat helps immensely) but many times I've had plugs so bad my supply really suffers.

I emailed Dr. Jack Newman and asked him if it sounds like I need abx (as some other moms on here suggested on my other threads). He told me to try oral GSE/fluconazole (sp?) first. I've been taking 10-15 drops GSE 3x/day for 2 days. I don't have any symptoms of thrush OR mastitis, however. But who knows! If oral GSE (and even a full candida yeast protocol) doesn't work then abx may be my next step, although I so dread getting thrush. That is about the only common BF problem we haven't dealt with and :knocksonwood

U/s treatment as what I've been doing the past 2 weeks isn't working to *prevent* recurrent plugs or to get me back my normal breasts . The u/s therapist I work with told me I should probably get a breast ultrasound so they can actually *see* what's going on inside my breasts. I may really need to do this although it probably will cost us a lot since our graduate student insurance from another state (we just moved here a few months ago) only covers 60% after a deductible, so really isn't that much after all.

Sometimes I feel optimistic enough but sometimes I feel really tired. How I wish we could be back to our "normal" nursing months ago (I never had a single plug from 3MO to 11MO). Now I apply moist heat for 10-20mins before every feeding and leave it on when I sleep at night so I can be ready to nurse her when she wakes up asking for it. When she's nursing I can't relax and enjoy but have to use both hands to massage and milk my breasts to have a decent flow. I have to be aware and not to lie on my side at night, which also means no more cuddling DD (also because I leave the heating pad on I have to put a pillow between us so she doesn't get next to me, which she used to always do .

I am not doing any of the things commonly know for increasing your risk of having plugs. Before I would try to determine what exactly caused them to happen but now I can't anymore. They would appear without notice, any time . I've been avoiding holding or wearing DD when we're outside, and I even doubt that me rocking DD to sleep (NOT pressing her against my chest) may bring about plugs. I am obsessed.

Thanks for reading my long post. Of course I will appreciate any response but this is mostly a (disorganized) rant asking for some support...

Default Re: can I please have some hugs

I don't have any advice about the plugs, but I know you are being super diligent mama. I know it is tough, hang in there. Hopefully one of these solutions will work. :HUG :HUG :HUG!!!!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

So sorry you are going through this.

I think having an ultrasound on your breasts to have a look inside is a good idea. Could be something completely out of the norm causing the problems - and you'd want to catch that.

Don't be scared to take abx if the docs think it will help - you can always do things to try and avoid thrush (taking Diflucan after the abx, taking probiotics, using vineger on your breasts)

Have you had a culture done of your milk to see if there is anything abnormal in it? - a rare bacteria or something??

This is probably just a bad bump in the road and once you get over the worst, it will get awesome again.
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs

Here is my great big hug. You are a wonderful mother you are a blessing and a gift to your family. You are a benevolent giver and the world is a better place because of the love you share with your family.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Big huge way to stick with it mama
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Esthervegan, you said it so well.
    the world is a better place with women and mothers like you

Things are already getting better. They didn't go bad in a day, and they might not get better in one either, but they are on the mend. Perservere and you will make it.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    Esthervegan, you said it so well.
    the world is a better place with women and mothers like you

Things are already getting better. They didn't go bad in a day, and they might not get better in one either, but they are on the mend. Perservere and you will make it.
    WSS. I've had quite a few clogged ducts in my time, so I know how uncomfortable they are, and how easy it is to get totally obsessed. I haven't suffered anything like what you have, though. I remember seeing in A Nursing Mother's Companion that some women find that eating a lot of dairy aggravates their problems? I know, I know, just shooting in the dark at this point.

It actually does seem like the U/S might be helping. I'm sorry you're going through this! I too had almost no clogged ducts from 3-11 months, and then I got a sudden spate of them at around a year, and now I'm good again. I have no idea what caused them (pump weaning maybe?) but I do remember thinking that as my nursing relationship progressed, the clogs were more stubborn and harder to resolve. Ugh.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Mine haven't been as aggressive as yours, but I do experience the same thing maybe monthly? Sometimes more sometimes less. I don't have insurance so I haven't even been able to try some of the things you have but I have had abnormal discharge twice now and if/when it happens again, I'm going to go and get an ultrasound to see if there's a cyst or a tumor and a culture to see if there's a bad bacteria in there. I would be thrilled to take abx if it meant the plugs would stop. See if you can look for those things to hopefully find an end to this problem. Good luck!
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion

Thank you everyone for the hugs and encouraging words!

I think I am going to go ahead and have a breast ultrasound. You spend money on what you have to spend it on, don't you? This is so mysteriously weird and I would like to know why the underlying cause is.

Joe's Mom: I've been dairy- and soy-free since DD was a few months' old because she was sensitive to those in my diet. I also know that a diet that contains too much sat fat can make plugs more likely but while there is animal fats in our diet we eat very healthy I believe. Junk foods don't have any place in our home. So I don't think it's a (big) factor