Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is BM and Solids Enough (And I can't believe I'm posting here.)

Default Is BM and Solids Enough (And I can't believe I'm posting here.)

Dear All,

First of all I can't believe I'm posting here.

For the last two months my son has only nursed 3 times a day because he has been distracted, and I work full time. The pump wasn't getting much, and I had all but given up. I started him on whole milk, which he was digging, while I occasionally nursed him (mornings and nights mostly).

Now, I'm on break for three weeks, and my son has ditched the bottle. He may be going through a growth spurt, but he is nursing at least six times a day now and sometimes at night. (And I mean nursing for a long time for like 15 minutes or more.) He seems satisfied, but I guess my question is will solids and BM be enough? He just turned a year old. He eats three times a day, and he does take some juice and water, maybe 3 ounces.

I haven't pushed the cow milk because I'm wasting it. He'll maybe take an ounce and stop, and I don't reheat it.

I will go back to work in three weeks, so that will probably change the nursing dynamic again, but I don't want to deprive my son. Plus, sans the critics who want me to wean him, nursing is so much more convenient and awesome!

(FYI 4-5 wet diapers and 1 poop a day.)

Thank you.
    Queen-Chuchi

My Son, Born: 12-08-2010, Weighed: 7lbs. 10oz. Measured: 20.5 inches
    Now: 9 months 2 weeks. Weight: 19lbs. 12oz. Length: 30.5in. Head Circ. 17.75in.

Default Re: Is BM and Solids Enough (And I can't believe I'm posting here.)

sounds like your doing the right things.

Sound like you're doing a great job!

My 15.5 mo old gets either breastmilk (nursing) or water at home. And he eats 3 meals plus snacks. At preschool they offer a sippy with cows milk which he sometimes drinks and sometimes not.

From a nutritional standpoint - nursing 2 or 3 times a day goes a long way towards meeting toddler needs for fat, calcium & calories.

PLUS if your LO is eating cheese or yogurt he'll get the nutrition that way. No need for a LO to be drinking cows milk!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

After a child is a year old you can nurse on demand and not worry about losing your supply. And as long as you are nursing at least 3-5 times in a 24hour period that is enough breastmilk not to need a substitute. Remember that is all cow's milk is. A substitute for YOUR MILK. You child really needs fat and calcium and with the ASSUMPTION that most people will wean by a year, cow's milk is the easiest way for children to get those things. But in reality, just like formula Cow's milk is a really POOR substitute. Because even though there IS a ton Calcium in Cows Milk it's not that absorbable for Humans. (Cows have 8 stomachs) And per oz there is MORE Fat and Calories in Breastmilk and it's the good kind. Cow's milk isn't really that good for you. That is why when you are sick you cut it out. So if you are still at it even three times a day, you are fine. (But try to get as couple more in there. Since it's Flu season.) And besides a growth spurt Consider that it may be the one year molars. Those are Brutal and usually take 6-8weeks to break.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you! I feel so much better. I guess you never stop second-guessing yourself. He is still nursing a lot and is full of energy.
    Queen-Chuchi

My Son, Born: 12-08-2010, Weighed: 7lbs. 10oz. Measured: 20.5 inches
    Now: 9 months 2 weeks. Weight: 19lbs. 12oz. Length: 30.5in. Head Circ. 17.75in.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Cows have 8 stomachs
    This was so interesting to read, I looked it up. What I found was that cows have just one stomach, but it's sort of divided into four sections. Nowhere could I find the 8 stomach thing. Am I missing something? Just out of curiosity!
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion