Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this the start of BLW....

Default Is this the start of BLW....

Hi Ladies,

I have made it 8 months so far with only EBF my son. However, over the past week he has started to refuse his mid-day (lunch) feeding. He is such an active little boy and does not want to sit down and nurse. He nurses 2-3 times per night and about four times from 2-8pm. His diaper output is good because he gets water plus solids throughout the day. I was not too concerned throughout the week as it was just one feeding....however, today he didn't eat two nursing sessions. I pumped a bottle for him at noon and he sucked it down because he was so hungry but he enjoyed that so much because he could watch everything around him while he had his milk. I work part time and two days per week I am gone 7-8 hours while the other days I only gone 5 hours at most. I nurse him right before I go to work and as soon as I come home...but I am getting concerned because I noticed he is not drinking as much when I send him to the babysitters and he is not nursing as much anymore. Everything we have done so far is Baby Led. He really likes solids and does well with them so I am thinking he is starting to wean some of his feedings. Am I on the right track of thinking???? I do not have any experienced breast feeders in my family to turn to as I am the first one to do it let alone for this long.

Thanks in advance ladies...you have all helped me get this far.

Default Re: Is this the start of BLW....

Are you offering to nurse before solids? (or is your dcp offering bm before solids?) Maybe you could cut back on the amount of solids and see if his nursing increases.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

And once they get that busy they often up their night time feeding and cut down their daytime eating. Which is hard on mama.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Thanks ladies,

I do offer nursing before every meal and he nurses before and after dinner it is just lunch time. The dcp also give bottles before solids as well. I just think he is starting to really enjoy his meals more. My DH and I are just not enjoying the more frequent awake time in the middle of the night. O well just one more hurdle in this experience.

Thanks again

Hi, Kellymom says self-led weaning rarely happens before 12 months
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/index.html

and I think I read somewhere on her site to avoid early weaning by not allowing baby to walk around with a bottle, or get too active while drinking, or else baby will 'miss' all the activity when bfing.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I don't think this is weaning at all. It's normal for babies to cut back on daytime nursing during these busy distractible months, and make up for it at night. Around a year, they get more interested in nursing during the day again, usually.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.