Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hand Pump for Daily Use?

Question Hand Pump for Daily Use?

I been using a hand pump while building up my stash an a very occasional bottle for my 3 mo old.

I can usually get 2 oz or close at each pumping session.

I tried an electric pump, but hated it and didn't get much milk using it.

Is there any reason I cannot continue to use a hand pump when I go back to work and pump several times a day?

I realize I may have to replace the hand pump several times as it will probably wear out frequently.

What do you guys think?
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

Default Re: Hand Pump for Daily Use?

I always say you have to do what works for you.
    Have you tried hand expression and massage?
    that might help you get more milk.

As long as you don't see a decrease in your supply, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use your hand pump even though they aren't intended for that. The advantages of an electric pump are that it's electric (duh) so it's faster and supposedly more effective. But if the hand pump works then I would do whatever works for you!

Mom to Mark (preemie 10/05 3 months) and Mallory (5/10 6 months and 6 weeks)

I used a hand pump pretty regularly for about 5 years. I wouldn't have liked to do it several times a day for a year or more, but that handpump did survive quite a while. I only changed because it finally wore out -- three kids later! -- and I was pumping FT to feed a friend's baby in addition to my own child. If it works for you and you can maintain your supply with it, go right ahead. There are some advantages to the hand pumps, IMHO, versus the double electrics. I found it quieter, I could get a better letdown and it was just as fast...but my hand would get tired and I could only pump one side at a time.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Just think of the amazing arm strength you'll have
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    If it works for you and you can maintain your supply with it, go right ahead. There are some advantages to the hand pumps, IMHO, versus the double electrics. I found it quieter, I could get a better letdown and it was just as fast...but my hand would get tired and I could only pump one side at a time.

i was able to get just as much milk in the same amount of time with my hand pump as with my medela electric. i still prefer the manual. i found it helpful to do breast compressions while pumping with the manual to get even more milk.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ohiomama View Post

i was able to get just as much milk in the same amount of time with my hand pump as with my medela electric. i still prefer the manual. i found it helpful to do breast compressions while pumping with the manual to get even more milk.
    Okay, how do you compress when you have one hand already operating the pump? This is actually one of my complaints about hand pumps - (1) it's hard to do compressions; and (2) I can't PAK!

I used a PIS for my regular pumping at work, but I bought a hand pump towards the end of my pumping days to use for times when I had to work late, or otherwise just needed to take the edge off before I saw my baby, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well it worked. I can definitely see the advantages. Some women really find it works better for them than the electric - I'm not one of them, I would prefer the electric for daily use, but yeah, go with what works best for YOU.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Okay, how do you compress when you have one hand already operating the pump? This is actually one of my complaints about hand pumps - (1) it's hard to do compressions; and (2) I can't PAK!
    i hated pumping with my electric because i needed both of my hands to hold things in place and couldn't do compressions then!

anyway, i do compressions with the hand that supports the breast & flange. i was actually squeezing away before i knew the term "compressions!" i think i just started doing it instinctively because one hand was pumping away and the other needed to move too! also, i used an Avent Isis- much easier to do this with! if i were having to use my Medela manual (not the Harmony, but the cylindrical piece that comes as part of the kit with every Medela electric) i would not have been able to do them.

the compressions helped me to get at least another ounce out of each side.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ohiomama View Post
    i hated pumping with my electric because i needed both of my hands to hold things in place and couldn't do compressions then!

anyway, i do compressions with the hand that supports the breast & flange. i was actually squeezing away before i knew the term "compressions!" i think i just started doing it instinctively because one hand was pumping away and the other needed to move too! also, i used an Avent Isis- much easier to do this with! if i were having to use my Medela manual (not the Harmony, but the cylindrical piece that comes as part of the kit with every Medela electric) i would not have been able to do them.

the compressions helped me to get at least another ounce out of each side.
    That's what I did too, and I had the same hand pump. Loved that Isis.

The other thing I would do would be to switch back and forth. I'd pump one side until it was slow, do the other side, then go back to the first and get some more then finish with the second side. I usually got so much that I would have to stop and empty the cup into a storage bag halfway through!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Great! Thank you so much everyone for your reponses.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>