Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Used Pump - New accessories?

Default Used Pump - New accessories?

When my milk first came in, the LC at the hospital brought me a hospital Medela pump and a brand new package with all the accessories (including the tubing). The accessories were mine to keep, and the pump needed to be returned.

One of my close friends has a Medela Pump in Style that she is done with and my accessories fit on her pump. Medela's website and the pump say that it is a single user pump - Apparently there is a diaphragm inside the pump that can't be changed out - I just don't understand how that can interfere with my milk if it's all new tubing and other accessories?

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything else about this - and what exactly the risks are? Has anyone ever used someone else's pump?

TIA

Default Re: Used Pump - New accessories?

I used a pump that I got as a hand-me-down from a friend, with both old but sterilized parts and some new parts. No problem. I think the chances of anything getting through all of that tubing are minute.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I bought a used Medela pump from some stranger off the internet. I bought new tubing and some other new stuff, but I boiled the horns to sterilize them. I don't know, Medela's website will tell you that communicable diseases can be passed by using a used pump, but I think that it's a company ploy so that you'll want to buy a brand new one :-)
    Mom to Caroline born 01.11.10, a 8 y.o. son and 10 y.o. daughter!

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

I bought my pump from a friend of mine. She used it only maybe 4 times before she was given a hospital-grade pump from the military. All of the accessories were brand new, still in the package and I used rubbing alcohol to wipe down the diaphragm. I know that the consignment shop down the street from me sells used Medela pumps.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

I have used two different pumps from two different friends that I know well and trust implicitly.

HOWEVER.

The "word" is that the milk as it is suctioned from your body is/can be partially aerosolized, that those microscopic milk particles can get sucked up into parts of the machine that cannot be sterilized or replaced. From there, they can then get back into newly pumped milk.

Do I think this actually happens, or on a level that is high enough to pose an actual biohazard to my baby? Obviously not, or I wouldn't have done it. I somewhat agree w/ the above poster that it results in a lot more new pumps being sold to push this idea. That being said, I would be a lot more hesitant to use a used pump for a premature or otherwise medically fragile child. If course in THAT case, I'm probably renting a medical grade pump anyway.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I would be a lot more hesitant to use a used pump for a premature or otherwise medically fragile child. If course in THAT case, I'm probably renting a medical grade pump anyway.
    I think this is really good advice. I have also heard that milk can get into the actual motor, etc. However, there is no advisory not to use the same breast pump for several children in a row, you know? So the problem can't be that over time, the pump becomes less hygenic if used by only one mother. Instead, the concern seems to be about different women using one pump.

I read up on this before I accepted a used pump from a trusted friend. I know she's healthy. If I had a very medically fragile baby, I might play it safe, but for full term healthy infants you don't even have to sterilize bottles, so I figure, probably not a big deal.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I am currently using my friends pump because I couldn't afford a new one. I also read up on the risks and decided that I new my friend well enough/long enough to trust her when she said she didn't have any communicable diseases (like Hep) (wow was that an akward conversation). Its really a personal decision but I know that LLL does not recommend using used pumps.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Great - thanks for all your replies!

She is a VERY trusted friend of mine and my son has been such a healthy little boy...so I decided to use it. I'm going to need one in the future because I'm moving away in 4 months and she needs it back (So she trusts me too - phew!) but it is great that I can use it for now when I need to.

Thanks again!

Late reply here, but if you just google "Medela breast pumps", you can find beaucoup sites that offer them at really good discounts. I had to give both of those used pumps back that I spoke about in my above post, and found a Medela PISA in the backpack bag for $210
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos