Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby clicking and chewing nipple during letdown

Default baby clicking and chewing nipple during letdown

im happy to say that my sore nipples are finally improving a bit - it seems like my baby's latch is getting a little better and they have started healing. the pain at the initial latch on is now not that bad.

BUT, once letdown starts, she starts doing weird things with her mouth - clicking sounds, losing the latch, and something really painful that feels like she is flicking the nipple around with her tongue. what is happening? is she having trouble with the flow?
    Baby girl born 10-15-2010

with tongue tie - hardest thing i've ever done, and the most rewarding. Also , and

Default Re: baby clicking and chewing nipple during letdown

It sounds like OALD. The clicking often has to do with how a child works to control the amount of spray they get in their mouth.

Way too lazy for formula

with the PPs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was just going to post this same thing! LO is 7 weeks old and we've been struggling (I've had previous posts) to say the least. I had yet another LC over yesterday - and she agreed with me - we definitely have the latch correct now...but my nipples/breasts still won't heal & I notice the same thing during letdown. I know I have OALD, but couldn't figure out what he could be doing that felt like he was flicking my nipple with his tongue & making it hurt so bad. I think that might be what is preventing them from healing. I use Lanolin, APNO and let them air dry - but still have a lot of nipple pain, especially when he does that!

No advice, just wanted to say I feel your pain, literally. I'm hoping that as he gets older, he'll be able to manage it better and it will improve.

Jennygal > i just want to reassure you - now at 9 weeks the pain is much much less. my nipples started healing , ever so slowly, around 6 weeks and now at 9 i can tell there's a real difference.

with tongue tie - hardest thing i've ever done, and the most rewarding. Also , and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jennygal View Post
    I had yet another LC over yesterday - and she agreed with me - we definitely have the latch correct now...but my nipples/breasts still won't heal & I notice the same thing during letdown. I know I have OALD, but couldn't figure out what he could be doing that felt like he was flicking my nipple with his tongue & making it hurt so bad. I think that might be what is preventing them from healing. I use Lanolin, APNO and let them air dry - but still have a lot of nipple pain, especially when he does that!
    Sometimes a latch looks great from the outside but is still marginal on the inside. Do you have pain/flicking throughout the feeding, or just during letdowns?

I'm hoping that as he gets older, he'll be able to manage it better and it will improve.
    It will. Bigger mouth = deeper latch. It's hard to believe this when your baby is still so tiny! But he'll grow fast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The baby's latch can be optimal however gravity might still be allowing breast to pull away from baby during the swallow portion of the suck, swallow pattern. Try supporting your breasts four fingers below, thumb on top just for extra support. lanolin can be a tricky remedy for sore nipples. If it works and you are healing, great but if its not giving you relief its time to explore other healing methods. Air drying is vital and wearing all cotton non- wire nursing bra's helps too. Also refrain from using disposable nursing pads as they are not ideal for healing. try to refrain from using any soaps or lotions, powders or deodorant from neck to naval. breastfeed from only one side every two-three hours. do not express unless you are away from baby, like at work to use for when you are apart. I know that can be a bit tricky if you need to make sure you have enough stored milk . The idea is to not over pump so your body regulates and calms down to help with over-active letdown.
    I am fair skinned and I too had sore nipples and as my babys became better nursers my nipples healed.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I don't know how to quote just parts of previous threads, but the last one mentioned not wearing disposable nursing pads. I leak SO bad unexpectedly, how can I get away with that? Typically LO only wants one breast per feeding, and in the night - the breast that isn't getting nursed leaks so bad, it usually soaks through the pad, my bra and all down my shirt.

I am definitely going to try though - I just need them to heal! THanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jennygal View Post
    I don't know how to quote just parts of previous threads, but the last one mentioned not wearing disposable nursing pads. I leak SO bad unexpectedly, how can I get away with that? Typically LO only wants one breast per feeding, and in the night - the breast that isn't getting nursed leaks so bad, it usually soaks through the pad, my bra and all down my shirt.

I am definitely going to try though - I just need them to heal! THanks for the info.
    Disposable pads have plastic in them which traps moisture against your body which can cause problems. I used to fold up a wash cloth or burp rag and stuff it in my sleep bra to catch leaks. You can also sleep with a towel or water proof pad under your torso to protect your mattress
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

i use non-disposable nursing pads and they are fine for the daytime - it's great since they are much more breathable than disposables. but at night they tend to move around or simply get soaked and i still leak all over my shirt and sheets. sometimes i actually stuff a towel in my bra to prevent that, lol. i think im going to try and make my own super-jumbo-sized pads for use during the night - they definitely need to be bigger in diameter than the ones i bought.