Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No milk left because DD ate for 3 hours

Default Re: No milk left because DD ate for 3 hours

I have a similar experience with my 5 week old. Weight gain/diaper normal. If my DD is bobbing on and off the breast, punching, crying, do I just keep going even if she is not even really sucking/swallowing? Does this apply only if it appears that there is no milk? What if there is milk when I express or if my breast is actually leaking when she fussed off, would that be a different problem?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*evian View Post
    If my DD is bobbing on and off the breast, punching, crying, do I just keep going even if she is not even really sucking/swallowing?
    You certainly can continue to try to nurse. You can also try other things, including:
    - Motion- take baby for a car ride, push her in a stroller, wear her around the house, rock her in a swing or rocking chair
    - Sling- babies who are worn sometimes fuss less
    - Water- a warm bath can be incredibly soothing! Both my kids stopped fussing the moment they hit the water
    - Swaddle
    - Change of scenery- if it's warm enough where you live, go outside! Sometimes fresh air works when nothing else does.

Does this apply only if it appears that there is no milk? What if there is milk when I express or if my breast is actually leaking when she fussed off, would that be a different problem?
    There's ALWAYS milk. ALWAYS. The baby may have to work harder to get the milk out, but it's there. Check out this link about fussiness at the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much everyone! It's comforting to know that everything she's doing is completely normal. I quickly realized that turning on some of my favorite shows for a couple hours would get me through that period. I did put her in the sling the other day so that I could get some chores done while she did her marathon nursing.