Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Express feeding newborn

Default Express feeding newborn

Hi all,
    So my little angel is 10 days old and I was determined to breastfeed her from the beginning. I am living in France and don't speak much french so when giving birth I couldn't really voice my opinions, thoughts, etc. My breasts are unfortunately inverted but my understanding from this was that with patience the little one would be able to breastfeed. The midwives at the hospital had other ideas and immediately put a nipple shield on me to use with her. It took a couple of attempts but eventually she started feeding. I really didn't want this to happen. I've attempted to try and feed her without the nipple shield with no successful attempts. She will latch on for a little while and then fight and get aggitated that she cannot get the milk. Today she doesn't even seem to be feeding very well even with the nipple shield.
    My husband and I have decided to express the breast milk and feed her by bottle. Does anyone else do this and has it worked for you?
    Also, do you feed your baby when she gives you cues or do you wake up your baby's to feed them every 2-3 hours. We started with a 2 hour schedule and now trying a 3 hour schedule. My reason for doing this was because I found that she sleeps for a long period of time, i.e. she can sleep for up to 6 hours straight. Your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I wish I had read up more and thought I had all the information I needed, was I wrong.

Default Re: Express feeding newborn

Hello! Congratulations on your baby!

I was very determined from the beginning to breastfeed since I didnt do it with my first (I was so confused and misinformed about everything) I decided to do a lot of research while I was pregnant with my second. I always said I will express my milk and bottle feed my baby because I wanted to have a better schedule. But once my baby was born I really wanted to breastfeed, but having a 2 year old and sleepless nights didnt work out too well for me so I decided to bottle feed night feedings and BF during the day. Buuuut, since I have an oversupply and an over active let dow, my son was constantly choking at my breasts so I decided bottle feeding was better until he got a little older to be able to control the flow of the milk. He is 10 weeks old and we are working on getting back on the breast, hes done pretty well. I have also had to put some cereal in his milk because he has reflux, I cant stick cereal in my breast

The point is that the baby is still getting breastmilk instead of formula, so if you truly cant feed directly from your breast, your baby will still be getting all the goodness in a bottle. Still better than formula in my opinion
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    Angel Gabriel 8/14/08 (didn't BF I was confused and thought I didn't have milk)
    Damian Gabriel 10/7/10 (BF and I now know I have an OVERSUPPLY, better more than none, I wish I would've known what I know now with my first)
    and

I forgot to add, I feed him basically whenever he wants... When he wakes up, hes usually hungry. He doesnt always drink the same amount. Sometimes he will drink the full 4 oz sometimes he will drink 2, other times 3 and sometimes even 1 so I just basically learned when to tell that he is hungry versus just being awake and allow him to eat as much as he wants. Hope this helps!
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    Angel Gabriel 8/14/08 (didn't BF I was confused and thought I didn't have milk)
    Damian Gabriel 10/7/10 (BF and I now know I have an OVERSUPPLY, better more than none, I wish I would've known what I know now with my first)
    and

Welcome! It's been a couple days since you posted. How are things going now- any changes?

To answer your question, many mamas pump exclusively (EP, for short). However, I think that most EP mamas would agree that it is not something you want to do if you can help it, because it is so much harder than nursing, for the following reasons:
    - Since pumps are not as good as babies at removing milk from the breast, it's harder to maintain and increase supply using the pump. Many EP mamas ultimately struggle to produce enough milk.
    - Nursing ultimately gets easier. Pumping never does. By a few months old, most babies can latch on and get a full meal in just a few minutes at the breast. But if it takes you 20 minutes to pump today, it's going to take you 20 minutes a year from now, and you'll need to find that 20 minutes while caring for an increasingly mobile baby, plus doing all the washing up associated with using bottles. Sometimes you'll need to choose between pumping and maintaining your milk supply and caring for your baby.
    - Nursing in public is easy. Pumping in public is really, really hard.
    - Milk from the breast is always clean, fresh, and at the right temperature. It can't get spoiled in a diaper bag, forgotten at home, or spilled on the floor.
    - Pumping puts you at the mercy of electricity- a power outage means no pumping and the possibility of your frozen stash going bad.
    - Nursing is more than just nutrition. Given time, it becomes an invaluable mothering tool. Baby bumps her head? Nurse. Teething? Nurse. Cranky, tired, hot? Nurse, nurse, nurse.

That being said, it is possible to EP!!! Many women do it, and this forum is full of women who have made it work. I don't want to discourage you from EP if you feel it is that or formula- just to make you aware of the potential drawbacks.

Also, do you feed your baby when she gives you cues or do you wake up your baby's to feed them every 2-3 hours.
    With a young baby like yours, you definitely want to wake her. The standard advice is to feed on demand- but it really should be "Feed on demand, or every 2-3 hours, whichever comes first."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"