Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: one year old and milk wont let down anymore

Default one year old and milk wont let down anymore

I want to continue nursing my one year old but my milk won't let down quickly and she gets impatient and gives up...which leads to a more vicious cycle where my milk takes even longer to let down. She has a stomach virus right now and would really like to nurse since she can't eat food but the sippy cup has ruined her as far as her willingness to suck hard enough and long enough to produce results. Any realistic advice out there on getting my milk to let down for her? I work in the daytime and have zero time to pump. I would like to be able to nurse her in the mornings and evenings. Problem is, she sometimes goes a whole day not wanting to nurse. Do I have to pump at those times to maintain supply? What about the times I try to pump and nothing ever lets down, does it still help?

Why is it my friend still nurses her three year old very infrequently and her milk still lets down??

Default Re: one year old and milk wont let down anymore

Quote Originally Posted by bethwall View Post
    She has a stomach virus right now and would really like to nurse since she can't eat food
    Oh no! Poor baby. Hope this passes quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by bethwall
    Any realistic advice out there on getting my milk to let down for her?
    Here are a few suggestions:

1. Try relaxation techniques like deep breathing or visualization before nursing. Some mothers find it helps to visualize waterfalls rushing forth from their breasts.
    2. Warm compresses on the breasts before nursing (or even take a warm shower!)
    3. Skin to skin contact can help.
    4. Try the techniques to assist MER (milk ejection reflex/letdown) found here: http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html
    5. Try to condition your letdown to respond to certain activities, like drinking a cold glass of water, for example. You can read more about that here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html
    6. Try different positions. Some mothers find that nursing while lying down helps!
    7. Consider trying reverse pressure softening: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html

I work in the daytime and have zero time to pump. I would like to be able to nurse her in the mornings and evenings. Problem is, she sometimes goes a whole day not wanting to nurse. Do I have to pump at those times to maintain supply? What about the times I try to pump and nothing ever lets down, does it still help?
    You can pump during those times. If your pump isn't working as well for you as it used to, perhaps try manual expression? See the Marmet technique of manual expression in the link I posted above. Alternatively, you could try the tips to assist MER in the link, then pump. I would suggest you try both and see which works for YOU!

Why is it my friend still nurses her three year old very infrequently and her milk still lets down??
    That is a difficult question to answer. I would almost say that her letdown response is strongly conditioned.

How long have you been experiencing problems with letting down? Has anything changed? Taking a new medication? Drinking more coffee? Under a lot of stress? Experiencing anxiety? A big change in your life? Anything you can think of?

Default Re: one year old and milk wont let down anymore

I hope your babe feels better soon!

In the meanwhile, I really suggest trying those Marmet tips for let-down. They worked for me! They also worked for my pump, too (I never could manually express for nothin').

And I also second the suggestion to read the Kellymom link and to use warm compresses before/during nursing. Little things can make a difference!