Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not producing Hindmilk

Default Re: Not producing Hindmilk

one day at a time.
    we'll help you get back on track...

Since you were making 5 oz/pump session at one point, I don't think the LC was necessarily wrong about what was going on. But block feeding can change things in a hurry, sometimes faster than you expect.

I wouldn't panic yet. Seeing pump output drop isn't necessarily an indication that you're in a crisis situation- there are a lot of reasons why pump output can diminish and the baby is almost always better at getting milk out of the breast than the pump is. So you might be getting .25-1 oz per pump, but odds are that the baby can get 2 or even 3.

The best things you can do if you suspect low supply are:
    1. Feed on demand
    2. Offer the breast whenever possible
    3. Pump in addition to nursing
    4. Watch diaper output- if it remains normal, everything is okay
    5. Resist the temptation to supplement, but if you feel you must supplement, use pumped milk instead of formula (it digests quicker, leading to shorter intervals between nursing sessions, and it means you need to pump to match your supply to the baby's need)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

okay, now he had a little green in the middle of his stool but I am taking antibiotics. Would that make them green?
    When he took a bottle, he ate 4.5 oz over half an hour. Poor thing is hungry all day if I don't give him a bottle of EM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tiggerx40 View Post
    okay, now he had a little green in the middle of his stool but I am taking antibiotics. Would that make them green?
    It can. But one green stool is not something to be concerned about. When we're talking about poop, we're looking for patterns- stools that are consistently yellow, or green, or mucusy, etc.

When he took a bottle, he ate 4.5 oz over half an hour. Poor thing is hungry all day if I don't give him a bottle of EM
    That's a lot of milk for a young baby. If you're going to supplement, I suggest keeping it to 2 oz or so. It's easy to overfeed when you're using a bottle, since the milk just keeps on coming even when the baby is suckling for comfort, and not really trying to eat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"