Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not producing Hindmilk

Default Re: Not producing Hindmilk

My LO's poops arent always seedy - they are usually yellow to orange and sometimes more seedy than others.

Have you done any research on silent reflux? My LO has that - she gags during and after feedings sometimes. She also crys more around feeding times and acts uncomfortable and arches her back sometimes. She also cant sleep flat and constantly sounds congested. These are all reflux symptoms, but its called silent reflux when they dont vomit. We just started her on Prevacid so I'm hoping to see a difference in a couple of weeks. Sometimes babies with either over eat or under eat with reflux - over eat since BM is a natural antacid but then the over eating can make them more uncomfortable - or they under eat since their bellys are upset - maybe causing slow weight gain. Not sure if this applies to you two or not

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tiggerx40 View Post
    Forgot to mention, the 5oz is pretty consistent throughout the day. Lately i have only been pumping in the am though when he doesn't wake. He will sleep for 6hrs or so at night. As for the fat on top. my LO said it should be 50/50. I am glad u said yours was only a thin layer.
    50/50! I've never seen breastmilk separate in a 50/50 ratio. That's A LOT of fat. I second the poster who suggested maybe getting a different LC.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

3. Block feeding - Been doing for over a week without pumping. Will do one breast for 3 feeding sessions and then the next breast. I could go up to 12 hours or so on one breast.
    Just to clarify, how frequently are you nursing? The quoted part reads like you've got three feedings in 12 hours, which would be every 4 hours. But you also said you only have 15 minutes or so between the end of one feeding and the beginning of the next, so that can't be right.

PPs are right, block feeding is going to reduce your milk supply. By a lot, probably, if you're going 12 hours on one side. And I also agree that it doesn't sound like you have oversupply. It's entirely possible to have a fast letdown without oversupply.

I'm thinking that if he's having that much trouble gaining weight, you might not want to let him sleep 6 hours at night. He should probably be nursing at least every 2 hours round the clock at this point.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds like such a frustrating situation!

ETA: Yellow poop is a really good sign. My babies' almost never had the seedy look, it was kinda liquidy. But either way yellow instead of green is great!
    Last edited by @llli*verity; December 19th, 2010 at 08:58 AM.
    Karen

~~~~
    My brilliant "babies":
    Butterfly - 13 yo - environmentalist
    NinjaBoy - 10 yo - stuntman

Thanks to all. It is soo frusturating. He had 2 green poops and was getting a really bad rash on his face after he ate. Now his poos are yellow but not cottage cheese like. They have just a little mucus. I am not sure if this is normal.
    Definitely sounds like it's in the normal zone. Yellow is good! I've seen my newborns' poops vary from the consistency of thin yogurt to watery cottage cheese, with the occasional watery diaper-buster.

Can you have undersupply with a forceful let down?
    Yes, definitely. It's not as common as the combination of oversupply and forceful letdown, but it can happen. Forceful letdown is sometimes less about mom and her supply than it is about baby and how he/she handles the letdown- some babies just have trouble with letdowns, period, no matter what sort of supply situation mom has. But it gets better in time!

As for the fat on top. my LO said it should be 50/50.
    Maybe in crazy land! The most fat I ever saw on top of my pumped milk was about 1/4 of the bottle. A thin layer is very normal.

I'm with verity that the more often you can nurse the more weight your baby is likely to gain.

Keep us posted!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You guys are sanity savers. I think I am getting a new LC, am scared now I don't have enough milk because not hearing as much swallowing. Baby is hungry all the time and acts like he wants the breast but does this head bob thing and won't latch and starts crying and keeps trying but won't latch. Am feeding 8-12 times a day.

ps- hubby is out getting scale now...

Baby is hungry all the time and acts like he wants the breast but does this head bob thing and won't latch and starts crying and keeps trying but won't latch.
    Some things to try:
    - Instant reward technique- express or drip some milk onto the nipple so that baby gets the taste ASAP. The taste may remind him that latching is the cure for his upset.
    - Swaddle. Sometimes a snuggly wrapped baby is a calmer baby.
    - If he's freaking out, try offering your pinky as a pacifier. (Hold nail down towards tongue to avoid damaging sensitive palate.)
    - Try to get him to the breast before his hunger cues escalate into all-out crying. Crying is a late hunger cue, and sometimes babies who are crying are already so freaked out that they forget to latch.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What kind of scale did you find on Craig's List? If it's not the sensitive, expensive kind ($1500 new ) it's not going to be effective for what you're needing. Trust me, I know because I tried it with my second LO. I ended up wasting money on a forty dollar scale at Target, figured out it didn't do what the rental scale did, and then kept it just in case I decided to weigh my LO after turning in the rental (which I rented again).

Sorry to give you bad news about the scale...I just want to be sure you're getting an accurate picture of things with a scale. Those ones you can buy at Target/BabiesRUs are just for a general idea of baby's weight, not a sensitive weigh/feed/weigh thing.

Darn, wish I would have read your post about the scale earlier. You are right, I bought it and it doesn't work. For the tips on latching, thanks, I tried but he is still bobbing. Now I am not making enough milk because of the block feeding. I don't think I was ever making enough milk and the LC diagnosed me wrong. I used to be able to pump out 5 oz total, now I can only pump .25-1oz total if I am lucky. LO is starving and after trying to get him to feed for 1-2 hrs on the breast I am having to give him my stored BM from before. I am running out though and am scared I will have to go to formula. Please help!