Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bittersweet night weaning soon....

Default Bittersweet night weaning soon....

So my LO will be on year old on 1-29. I am so excited to get to say I've breastfed for a year in just a little over a month, but I am dreading night weaning, but need to do so for my husband's sake. He's such an amazing guy, and stays up with our LO until 11pm when I get home, since my LO is on my schedule, and gets up for work at 3am.

At one year old I want to night wean, in hopes that my little man can sleep in his crib, which is butted up to our bed. I adore co-sleeping so I won't get rid of that aspect of our lives. But my son gets fussy at night when he wants to nurse, and it wakes up my husband.

Sooooooooo, I don't know where to begin, how to begin, what books I should read, or not, etc. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks ladies!
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    First time mommy to William Landon - my monkey man born 1-29-10

We all love and

Default Re: Bittersweet night weaning soon....

The Jay Gordon method is one that a lot of the mothers here have had success with, including me. I didn't follow his timeline strictly, it took me a couple months to totally night wean, but it worked and it is very compatible with cosleeping.

I just wanted to add that nightweaning does NOT necessarily mean your baby will stop waking at night. It might, but it might also just mean you will have one less tool at your disposal to get him back to sleep when he does wake. Stay flexible and listen to your instincts and it will all work just fine.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*landonsmommy View Post
    So my LO will be on year old on 1-29. I am so excited to get to say I've breastfed for a year in just a little over a month, but I am dreading night weaning, but need to do so for my husband's sake. He's such an amazing guy, and stays up with our LO until 11pm when I get home, since my LO is on my schedule, and gets up for work at 3am.
    I am confused about why your LO stays up till 11 p.m.? That's awful late, although I can understand that you must want to see him when you get home. Does he not go to sleep for papa?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Lulu waits up for me on the nights I'm in class (that could mean an 11pm bedtime for her). She will NOT go to sleep for DH.

I agree with Paige. Dr. Jay Gordon's method is the one that worked for us with K (heavily modified as far as the time is concerned) and we're employing the same with Lulu now (also modified).

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I am confused about why your LO stays up till 11 p.m.? That's awful late, although I can understand that you must want to see him when you get home. Does he not go to sleep for papa?
    he could go to sleep for dad if he was tired. But, he's on my schedule. Him and I are in bed around 11:30, and we get up around 10am. So he's not overly tired or what not. He could sleep with dad but we don't want to force him to sleep when he's not tired. Some nights I come home to them sleeping, but rarely. We just want to keep my LO on a routine, and his bedtime is when I get home since he wants to nurse immediately when I get home. So he's nursed to sleep every night as well.

We all love and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*landonsmommy View Post
    he could go to sleep for dad if he was tired. But, he's on my schedule. Him and I are in bed around 11:30, and we get up around 10am. So he's not overly tired or what not. He could sleep with dad but we don't want to force him to sleep when he's not tired. Some nights I come home to them sleeping, but rarely. We just want to keep my LO on a routine, and his bedtime is when I get home since he wants to nurse immediately when I get home. So he's nursed to sleep every night as well.
    Okay, that makes sense. I guess I'm trying to understand why night-weaning is necessary. I work full-time and nurse my 19 month baby on demand all night. Sure I feel a little tired sometimes, but overall, nursing him at night causes a lot less disruption than other methods of calming him down. Same goes for my husband. My experience with night weaning (from ladies on this forum) is that it usually involves quite a bit MORE work for dads than nursing at night, because different kinds of comforting are required. It's louder and more disruptive to have to sing or rock a baby back to sleep.

Because the truth is, night weaning is not likely to make a constantly waking baby sleep through the night, and there is no easy way to get through the night with a toddler, especially when they are sick or teething or whatever. Nursing is not easy, but it may well be easier than the alternatives.

So if you're enjoying night nursing, and feel bittersweet about night weaning, what's the rush?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post

Because the truth is, night weaning is not likely to make a constantly waking baby sleep through the night, and there is no easy way to get through the night with a toddler, especially when they are sick or teething or whatever. Nursing is not easy, but it may well be easier than the alternatives.

So if you're enjoying night nursing, and feel bittersweet about night weaning, what's the rush?
    my hubby and I talked it over, and would just rather keep on night nursing. I guess I'm just worried about my hubby, but we never discussed it a ton until recently. Thanks for the input!!

We all love and

I basically just started seeing if I could comfort and soothe my son back to sleep by rocking. I never expected it to work, therefore I was never disappointed when it didn't. After about a month, he could successfully be calmed down with me laying down with him and patting his back for a minute. The frequency of his nightwaking has not decreased at all. And I've actually gone back to nursing him around 5AM and then again once he wakes up for the day at 7AM.
    Like someone else said, night weaning is just removing one tool for comforting baby during the night. I have seen an increase in my husband's ability to soothe him back to sleep now that we've done this, though. Something that was never good enough for baby before!

Good luck!
    Jeff+Lauren=Maxden
    Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing since 11.24.2009