Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping and bruised nipples?

Default pumping and bruised nipples?

I recently started back to work and have been pumping quite a bit (I work 12hr over nights and DD is @ day care during the day while I sleep). I have 27mm shields and I'm wondering if they might be too small. I read the nipple shouldnt rub the inside of the tunnel and mine does a little. Also, I start on the lowest setting and gradually work my way to the highest setting during my pumping session. I do experience discomfort @ the beginning I believe d/tmy nipples being sore. But I wait until the discomfort is gone b4 I increase the suction. My nipples are kinda purple :/ any advice would be much appreciated

This is the 3rd child I have used this pump with (Medela Lactina) and I haven't previously experienced problems with bruising, even on thr highest setting

Default Re: pumping and bruised nipples?

I agree your shields sound too small. Do you have any where you could try larger ones? I think I used 30 on one side and 33 the other (flatter) side.

purple nipples are not normal and really pumping shouldn't hurt.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: pumping and bruised nipples?

Mine have looked sorta bruised too - kinda purple at the ends. It doesnt really hurt so I figured it was just the pump drawing the blood to the ends of my nipples ??
    I too am getting a bigger flange though cuz my nipples touch the sides too - so maybe that will stop the color change.
    I always only pump on the lowest setting though cuz the higher settings are uncomfortable for me. I do breat compressions while I pump to get more out and I do fine with the lower setting
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs