Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and a busy busy boy!

Default Pumping and a busy busy boy!

I'm frustrated. I EP for my almost 8 month old son. I have to supplement with formula and one of the main reasons now is because my son is into everything! I can't pump as often/as long as I need to because he's constantly getting into things. I babyproofed all I can, but I have a small apartment and can only do so much. Also, he often gets jealous of my time with the pump and wants to be held or cries. Has anyone else had these problems? If so, how do you deal with them?

Thanks,
    zblessedmom

Default Re: Pumping and a busy busy boy!

Do you have a playpen or a gated area you could put him in and he would be safe? Or do you have a hands free pumping bra for your pump that way you could hold him?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

How many times a day are you trying to pump?
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

I should be pumping 6 times a day. I'm only getting in 3-4 times. I don't have a gated area and he won't stay in a playpen.

What about hands free pumping? That way you can play with him on the floor or hold him or whatever?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I would strive for 4-5 times a day. On weekends (I work FT) I would pump before DD would wake up, during her morning and afternoon naps and after she went to bed. I didn't see a significant drop in my supply until I went below 4 pumps a day so I would strive to at least get in 4 and 5 if you go to bed later and can add in another pump after your LO is asleep.

I understand how hard it is once they are mobile!
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!