Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing bottle, frustrating all around...

Unhappy Refusing bottle, frustrating all around...

My LO will be six months just after Christmas, and I am returning to work beginning in January. I have been anticipating this transition and have been trying to introduce a bottle every now and then to get baby used to it, and she is having none of it! She took a bottle very early on, between 2 and 4 weeks because of sore nipples, but when things with BF started going smoothy, I ditched the bottle and never re-introduced it until now. Apparently my DD has forgotten how, or just plain doesn't want to have anything to do with the false mama. I have tried a few different kinds of bottles, the NUK, Breastflow, and Medela slow flows, each to no avail. I almost never try to give her the bottle myself, and she still refuses it from her father and grandmother. I am at my wits end with this process; she either chews on the end of the bottle nipple or turns red and screams. She nurses between 8-12 times per day, and about 2-3 times per night still. I know this has probably been discussed, but I am just desperately looking for any new suggestions or ideas of anything that has worked for you ladies??
    married to my best friend
    mama to two beautiful baby girls

7/4/2010 -- 7lbs 8oz, 20.5" -- my fireworks baby -- c-section
    4/7/2012 -- 7lbs 2oz, 20" -- my Easter baby -- natural vbac

nursed DD1 16 months and nursing DD2
    with our gDiapers!

Default Re: Refusing bottle, frustrating all around...

this link has some great ideas..

How long will you be gone for work?

Lots of toddlers will just wait for mom to get back and then nurse alot at night to make up.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

how to introduce a cup:
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cups-older.htm

No suggestions, just sympathy. I'm going through the exact same thing with my daughter (born July 5th). I also am returning to work in Jan. I will be paying close attention to this thread rather then starting my own.

I started back at work almost a month ago when DD was 4 months old. She initially refused every bottle my DH and mom offered (Nuk, Breastflow, Avent, Medela, Born Free and Playtex Ventaire). She finally took the Playtex drop in bottle with the latex nipple. This week, for the first time, she took 10oz during the 11 hours I was away. that this continues. Prior to this week, the most she would take would be 4 to 5oz. To make up for what she wasn't getting during the day, she would nurse all night long. At 6 months, your DD will be able to go quite a while without nursing. If you think about it, many babies this age are sleeping 10 to 12 hours at night. Just be prepared to co-sleep if this happens so she can get her calories and you can get your sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    She finally took the Playtex drop in bottle with the latex nipple.
    ^This. It's the only thing my son would take.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos