Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dump Breastmilk with yeast infection?

Question Dump Breastmilk with yeast infection?

Should I be dumping the breastmilk I pump while being treated for yeast in my breasts?
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs

Default Re: Dump Breastmilk with yeast infection?

If you are feeding the milk right away I think it would be okay. I don't think freezing kills yeast so I wouldn't store it.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

I agree with pp. If you are feeding it within a day or so it will be fine. I was told two different things when I had thrush about keeping the milk. One doctor said it was fine to freeze and feed later another said no way. I kept mine as an emergency back up but will never feed it unless we have absolutly no other choice except formula. I would personally not use it because I wouldn't want even the slightest rish of reinfection.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Expressed milk can be given while being treated for thrush, but from what I remember it shouldn't be frozen for a later date. Freezing deactivates the yeast, but doesn't kill it.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

with the PPs. Though if you want to keep the milk, you can scald it: http://www.kellymom.com/store/handou...-save-milk.pdf
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What about stored milk that contains dairy when you suspect your infant has a dairy sensitivity? I froze tons before I figured out my baby seems to have a dairy sensitivity and I hate to throw it out. Can I cook it to break up the protiens as well?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dhiannianmor View Post
    What about stored milk that contains dairy when you suspect your infant has a dairy sensitivity? I froze tons before I figured out my baby seems to have a dairy sensitivity and I hate to throw it out. Can I cook it to break up the protiens as well?
    No. Sorry mama. Though you may want to keep it until you are positive that dairy is the problem. I'd hate for you to throw it out and find out later that it was unnecessary. If dairy is the problem for sure, you might want to consider finding someone to donate it to rather than tossing it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    No. Sorry mama. Though you may want to keep it until you are positive that dairy is the problem. I'd hate for you to throw it out and find out later that it was unnecessary. If dairy is the problem for sure, you might want to consider finding someone to donate it to rather than tossing it.
    K thx

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dhiannianmor View Post
    K thx
    sorry, I know it sucks. I've been there.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous