Hi! I really need some advice. I have been agonizing over what to do, and I need to make a decision.
I have 2 older children, ages 10 and 9, who I tried very hard to bf, but due to very high pallettes, I just couldn't (I am sure I *could* have but no one told me what to do and I saw many LC's. My nipples were bleeding, and I just couldn't take the pain anymore). Anyway, they both did great on formula.
My third baby is almost 15-weeks old (tomorrow). I breastfed him until around 6-weeks old. For various reasons, I quit. For the sake of time (he is napping right now!), I won't elaborate. After a couple of weeks on regular formula, he started having bloody and mucousy stools. After several weeks of this, the doctor told me that he had a cow's milk protein allergy. So he put him on soy, which he did okay on for a few weeks, then the blood came back. By then, I had researched soy formula, and was very upset about how dangerous it is. My best friend fed her adopted son the Weston Price formula with goat's milk. I can't get raw goat's milk, so I am using powdered goat's milk. My baby does great on it. But I do reduce the whey and yeast flakes due to his acid reflux, so I do worry about him getting the right amount of vitamins.
So...that's the backstory. I continue to be obsessed with relactating. I am so angry with myself for quitting bfing. I feel like I will never forgive myself. I know that with his allergy, I would have to watch my diet really closely, and I just *hope* I could do it. I continue to pump every once in a while because I can't bear for my milk to dry up forever. Today I pumped with my Medela PIS advanced and got out maybe 1/2 ml out of left breast and enough to just cover the bottom of my right. And my DS will latch on, and still has the rooting reflex, so that is good, I think.
I have researched relactation and have considered getting the Lact-Aid system and the drug Domperidone (sp?). I do worry about ordering the drug from overseas. But I have not done this because of the expense and the not knowing if it will work. My DH thinks that I will never be able to make enough milk to feed our son, since he is taking about 35 ounces a day now.
Am I crazy to consider this? Should I just keep doing the goat's milk formula? Should I invest all that money into trying to relactate, not knowing if it will work? Please advise! I am going crazy trying to decide what to do!