Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I/ Can I relactate? Please help!!!

Default Should I/ Can I relactate? Please help!!!

Hi! I really need some advice. I have been agonizing over what to do, and I need to make a decision.

I have 2 older children, ages 10 and 9, who I tried very hard to bf, but due to very high pallettes, I just couldn't (I am sure I *could* have but no one told me what to do and I saw many LC's. My nipples were bleeding, and I just couldn't take the pain anymore). Anyway, they both did great on formula.

My third baby is almost 15-weeks old (tomorrow). I breastfed him until around 6-weeks old. For various reasons, I quit. For the sake of time (he is napping right now!), I won't elaborate. After a couple of weeks on regular formula, he started having bloody and mucousy stools. After several weeks of this, the doctor told me that he had a cow's milk protein allergy. So he put him on soy, which he did okay on for a few weeks, then the blood came back. By then, I had researched soy formula, and was very upset about how dangerous it is. My best friend fed her adopted son the Weston Price formula with goat's milk. I can't get raw goat's milk, so I am using powdered goat's milk. My baby does great on it. But I do reduce the whey and yeast flakes due to his acid reflux, so I do worry about him getting the right amount of vitamins.

So...that's the backstory. I continue to be obsessed with relactating. I am so angry with myself for quitting bfing. I feel like I will never forgive myself. I know that with his allergy, I would have to watch my diet really closely, and I just *hope* I could do it. I continue to pump every once in a while because I can't bear for my milk to dry up forever. Today I pumped with my Medela PIS advanced and got out maybe 1/2 ml out of left breast and enough to just cover the bottom of my right. And my DS will latch on, and still has the rooting reflex, so that is good, I think.

I have researched relactation and have considered getting the Lact-Aid system and the drug Domperidone (sp?). I do worry about ordering the drug from overseas. But I have not done this because of the expense and the not knowing if it will work. My DH thinks that I will never be able to make enough milk to feed our son, since he is taking about 35 ounces a day now.

Am I crazy to consider this? Should I just keep doing the goat's milk formula? Should I invest all that money into trying to relactate, not knowing if it will work? Please advise! I am going crazy trying to decide what to do!

Blessings,
    Jacquelyn

Default Re: Should I/ Can I relactate? Please help!!!

I think the facts that your Lo will still latch and you are still making milk are excellent. You will have to work very hard to get your supply up but I believe you can do it. Keep pumping and keep your Lo at the breast as much as possible.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

yup what she said..
    and your baby is very very young.

any breast milk is great for baby, the more milk you remove the more your going to make.
    have you thought about using a dropper or cup to feed suppliment so that baby will meet all sucking needs at the breast?

I haven't thought about a cup or dropper. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks!

Blessings,
    Jacquelyn

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

more info here...

you can also try a spoon in a pinch....

You've got some great advice so far, I just wanted to add that you might want to go ahead and remove dairy from your diet. It can take several weeks for it to completely leave your system.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

If he still latches on well, you're way ahead. The absolute best, most efficient way to increase your supply is by nursing a baby. You can start right now by putting him to the breast every chance you get. I'd also suggest renting a hospital grade pump for a while and pumping after you nurse. The PIS is good, but a hospital grade pump will boost your supply faster. You may not get any milk when you pump after nursing at first, but it will still be sending the signal to your brain that more milk is needed.

It might also be a good idea to find a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) to help you figure out how to gradually decrease the amount of formula as your milk supply increases. Since it's difficult to measure how much a baby is getting at the breast, it can be tricky to know how much formula he needs. An LC could help you with that.

There's a good chance you'll be able to relactate fully, but I just want to point out that even if you end up still needing to use some formula, that is NOT failure! Every drop of your milk that you can give your baby is precious and good for him. Whatever the ultimate outcome, he benefits from your efforts, so they won't be wasted. In other words, you really can't lose here.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    There's a good chance you'll be able to relactate fully, but I just want to point out that even if you end up still needing to use some formula, that is NOT failure! Every drop of your milk that you can give your baby is precious and good for him. Whatever the ultimate outcome, he benefits from your efforts, so they won't be wasted. In other words, you really can't lose here.
    You are already way ahead of a lot of women who try to relactate, because your baby WILL latch, and you know you are still making milk! So try to see the breastmilk you can give your baby as gravy. Every drop is wonderful!

(I say this because trying to increase your milk production can be slow, have lots of plateaus, and it can get a little frustrating, but you have to keep the big picture in mind. I weaned off one breast for a month - long story - then tried to relactate it, and it was a long frustrating process, but eventually, we were back to EBF. But in the meantime, it was important for me to just keep on keeping on. )

Now, nurse that baby!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I think it is awsome that you are going to continue to breastfeed! I have been soy and dairy free for 9 months and haven't missed it at all. I just pay more attention to what I eat. It is actually kind of nice.
    I wanted to add that you should probably also take out soy from your diet since you said your son's stools became bloody after the soy formula. Alot of times, babies with dairy intolerances also have soy intolerance. For me soy oil and soy lecithin were ok to eat.

Good luck building up your supply!!
    Married 9/17/2005
    Mother to Seamus born 3/9/2010 7lbs 9oz Still nursing with no end in sight!
    I love , , cloth diapers! with #2! Due 4/5/2012. for a Vbac!