Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Self Weaning?

Default Self Weaning?

My daughter is 7 1/2 months old. Breastfeeding her hasn't been the same as before. She used to take 4-5 oz of breastmilk per feeding during the day. Nowadays, she takes 1 - 3 oz per feeding. I work full-time. I nurse her in the morning and when I come home from work. She used to nurse for at least 10-15 minutes per breast. Now, I would be lucky to get to 10 minutes. Is this considered self-weaning? We give her some solids - baby oatmeal (1.5 tbsp) and some mashed potatos.

Default Re: Self Weaning?

Congratulations on having made it this far with breastfeeding your daughter! It is not always easy to maintain milk production when you are working, and you should feel very proud that you are providing the best for your daughter. The number of minutes she's on the breast is not that important. Babies get very efficient and can sometimes get all they need in 5 minutes or less.

To answer your question, it is extremely rare for a baby who is not getting bottles or pacifiers (when with mom) to self-wean. Most of babies' diets consist of mom's milk (or formula if the mom is not producing enough) until around 12 months or so, when they start eating increasingly more solids and less breastmilk. Solids during 6-12 months are for fun, learning, and to provide another source of minerals such as iron and zinc.

If you would like to keep nursing her, consider offering frequent nursing for food and comfort when you are with her, and keeping her milk intake when you are at work no more than 12 oz. (Less is fine too, if she seems to be ok with that!)

Seven months is also a time when growth is less rapid and the baby is more interested in the outside world, so I would not panic that she is taking less.

I am having the same exact problem. I have a 7.5 month old who just doesn't seem as interested in breast feeding as before. He will feed during the day maybe 3 times (usually 2) unless i tick him into it while he's napping. He loves solids, and usually eats them 3 times a day. He still nurses 2-3 times at night ( another issue). I'm worred that he's getting enough nutrition!
    he is just very distractable during the day I think,,getting into everything these days.

I've got the same problem, too. It started when DS was about 7 months old and he just got so distractable. Now he's 8 months and I wear a beaded necklace during nursing and have to put par to fht e necklace in my mouth and make funny noises in order to keep him interested long enough for a let down to happen! Even then, he's only breastfeeding maybe 3-5 times per day. I too worry about the nutrition. To top it off, he has been a "Slow-Gainer" since about 2 months old, even though he was big at birth (8 pounds, 8 0z). At 8 months old he now weighs about 16 pounds 10 oz (don't have a very accurate home scale). He was only 14 pounds 8 oz at his 6 month. Oy. I have started supplementing with formula and I'm just so confused about what to feed him, how much to feed him, when to feed him, and how to help him grow.

Here are some articles about nursing strikes, which are more likely than self-weaning:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/unexpected.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBstrikes.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html

It is important not to supplement at all during a bursing strike, they are temporary and last shorter periods the more often the breast is offered.