Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not pumping enough! What to do?

Default Not pumping enough! What to do?

I've been back to work for 4 weeks now. I work 10 hours days, 4 days a week. I nurse before I go to work and before DD's bedtime, then pump 3 times a day. I leave my grandmother four-4oz bottles and DD (5 months) takes them all since I'm away from her for so long. I usually leave the previous days pumpings. It's been working out great until now. My freezer stash is almost gone (since DD will only drink my scalded milk) and I only get 12oz a day pumping. I've already thought about adding a pumping session, but it's just not possible with my job. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Not pumping enough! What to do?

I am/ was in the same boat as you- been back to work for 3 months and have a 5 1/2 month old. I'm away 9 hrs. and leave 2, 5 1/2 ounce bottles. I pump 4 times a day at work and get 7 ounces. I'm in the process of trying out some suggestions from the board so maybe they can work for you too...
    - Evaluate if you are giving your DD too much. You can give just enough to make it until you get home and then feed immediately when you are home from work and then again before bed. This might eliminate a bottle or an ounce or two from each feeding and keep up your supply.
    - Try fenugreek pills- 12 pills didn't work for me... uping to 15 each day to see if I get a few extra ounces.
    - Add an AM pump on the weekends about 1 to 2 hrs after first AM feed.
    - I also "bit the bullet", I am waking up at 2am since my DD sleeps through the night and getting an extra 2/3 ounces.
    - Add a pump when you first get to work to make 4 pumps.
    - Try pumping before bed- My DD's last feeding is at 7pm and then I pump at 10pm.
    Hope some of these help. Just know I'm struggling with the same issues and trying to get through them currently. Good luck!
    Mom to son (2/4/08), to daughter (6/28/10) and currently and at work
    Wife to husband (Oct.06)