Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cracked nipple

Default cracked nipple

My daughter is 4 weeks old. During the first couple weeks I had cracked bleeding nipples but they have gotten a little better. Then a few days ago I got another big crack in one nipple. In that same breast I have this big lump that doesn't seem to go away. What can I do?

Default Re: cracked nipple

See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC!

The lump is probably a plugged duct: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Can you tell us more about how nursing is going? Like when you have pain, how many cracks you have, shape of nipple after baby unlatches?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Nursing has been going well. She is gaining weight consistently. Tons of diapers. Her latch was shallow at first and that contributed a lot to the cracks. Now just on one nipple just one crack but it is painful with every latch and letdown. I called a IBCLC and she said I could use triple antibiotic ointment to try to cure it, but it seems to reopen with every feeding. I just wondered if this has happened to anybody else and what they did. I am returning to work soon and I just pumped for the first time. That side was way less productive and the lump is still there

Yes, a lot of mamas have been in your shoes, myself included. Cracks can be amazingly persistent when you have to keep using the cracked nipple over and over and over, and reopening the wound. But what happened for me was that eventually the baby's mouth got bigger and she could latch on perfectly every time. When that happened, the cracks healed pretty quickly, without even leaving scars.

The reduced pump output you're seeing on the side with the lump is probably due to the lump- that lump probably represents a lot of ductwork that is stuffed full of milk. When you can get that plug to release, you should see an increase in output on that side.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My other suggestion would be to change the position you latch baby on. For example, I tend to always use the cradle hold. Well, it worked great until I got a milk bleb with my second child that was persistent and very painful for some weeks. I finally opened the bleb up to gain relief, and it would not heal because every nursing reopened the wound...until I switched to football hold on that side for a few days.

When their mouth lands in the same spot, over and over and over, no, the wounds can't heal.

So, in addition to doing what PP said, try changing your position for latching on. Might help. Won't hurt!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!