Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning for fertility drugs...sad:(

Unhappy weaning for fertility drugs...sad:(

Hi everyone!

I am starting to feel sad. I was informed that in order for my husband and I to try and conceive again, I will have to stop breastfeeding due to the fertility drugs I have to use.

I have a 16 month old daughter, and she LOVES to breastfeed. Recently, she wants to nurse more during the day and a few times at night too (we cosleep.) We are thinking of trying for another baby in May and she will be 21months old at that point. As stated earlier, I need to get on Clomid which is a fertlity drug, in order to ovulate (I have PCOS and don't ovulate regularly, if ever, on my own.) I am just dreading weaning her. I am so sad to think if it will be traumatic for her. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it! I wish I could still nurse her and take the medication.

I think it will be easier to wean her in the daytime because she is a VERY active little girl, but nighttime is going to be TOUGH. She really likes to nurse at night when she wakes. I know out of habit, she feels like she NEEDS to be nursed back to sleep. She does take a pacifier in place of nursing though, sometimes.

Does anyone have any advice for me on gently weaning her? Also, how many months in advance should I be starting the weaning process? Like I said, we are going to be trying in May (which is about 4.5 months from now.)

Thanks SOOOO MUCH for any tips on how to make this go as smoothly as possible, and without being too tramautic for my baby girl. I love her too much to make her sad

Carlie

Default Re: weaning for fertility drugs...sad:(

Did you use clomid the first time? Also, has your period come back yet?

Are you sure you have to wean? Read the answer to number 6 here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/r...c-while-bf.pdf

Also, these ladies took clomid while nursing:
    http://www.mothering.com/community/f...-breastfeeding
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Have you tried metformin/glucophage to treat your PCOS? It is taken by many diabetics and is generally considered to be safe while breastfeeding. Metformin alone may be sufficient to get you cycling and ovulating regularly.

While clomid may force an ovulation by causing a dramatic increase in estrogen, metformin addresses the root of the PCOS problem (excess testosterone which interferes with your normal hormonal cycle, due to excess insulin, which is chemically almost identical to testosterone and can "steal"/bind with the "sponges" in your blood that are supposed to clear out the small amount of testosterone that you normally make).
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Hey there...thanks SO much for the responses. I just really needed some support. No one else really understands except for a breastfeeding mother! You all are SO helpful!

Here is what happened with my past with PCOS. I was diagnosed with it over 7 years ago, and we have found that I am one of the "weird" PCOS patients. I don't have insulin resistance (I was on metformin and sadly it didn't help me ovulate due to me not being IR-wish that would have worked though!) I wish I could just take met. this time around but the only symptoms I have are anovulation. To get pregnant I used clomid the first time (I have only one child) and it worked the first month at 50mg. Also, my period has not returned on it's own (have been nursing for 16 months) and was just given a progesterone shot to shed my uterine lining. So, sadly, no, I haven't got a period on my own. But, that isn't surprising because I probably only get 4 periods a year (if that) when I am not pregnant or nursing due to my anovulation.

I am just having such a hard time with this.

Thanks for ALL YOUR HELP and even taking the time to read this! You all are soooooo sweet. It is nice to have some support!

p.s. I tried reading those links you posted but for some reason my computer isn't letting open the file Shoot! I really wanted to read it!

p.s. sorry...i didn't proof read before posting and saw some mistakes...haha, i was typing really quick. i hope it makes sense!

This is what the kellymom link said:

Question #6 – I have had problems with infertility
    in the past; should I wean before treatments?
    If you’re eager to become pregnant first steps may
    include charting some cycles or reducing breastfeeding
    to evaluate your fertility status. If you are not ready to try
    to conceive, though, you may do well to take precautions
    since fertility reversals do occur.
    Although there is no direct research, there is no obvious
    reason to believe that fertility treatments would harm the
    breast milk. To find out the latest on how a particular
    drug affects breastfeeding, turn to Thomas Hale, MD’s
    Medications and Mothers’ Milk. Clinical observations
    suggest that Clomid (Clomiphene) is compatible with
    breastfeeding. 2 And there is no reason to expect that
    breastfeeding would affect your fertility treatment
    because the drugs will control your cycle. 3
    Tracie

Mommy to

I don't have PCOS and my period did not return until my daughter was 14 months. Sixyearplan's didn't return until she 23ish months.
    Tracie

Mommy to

IIRC, on average breastfeeding moms get their periods back at around 15.5 months postpartum. So 16 months with no period isn't necessarily an indication that you're somehow "abnormal."

Many moms find that they get their fertility back around the time that 2 things happen:
    1. Baby starts eating a lot of solids, and
    2. Baby starts sleeping through the night.
    So a good place to start might be night-weaning. Here's one way to go about it: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It would be worth a call to the InfantRisk center to see whether it would be safe to nurse your daughter while taking Clomid, taking into consideration her age and the amount she nurses. It might not be all or nothing.

It must be a heartbreaking position to be in, especially when you can't even explain to her why you're doing it.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Before beginning treatment with clomid, would you consider trying an herbal approach to treating the PCOS to see if it brings on ovulation? Have you used vitex/chasteberry before? Vitex is believed by some to increase milk supply, and to be safe to use while breastfeeding.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.