Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Heading Back to Work...

Unhappy Heading Back to Work...

Hi everyone,

I go back to work (very full time) on Thursday after 12 weeks FMLA with my DD. I'm a first time momma. We had a really rough start with colic, tummy troubles and long crying jags on a nightly basis but for the last 3-4 weeks there's been a huge turnaround and our girl is happy and an absolute delight. I feel so sad about leaving her, I keep crying and I still have two full days left.

Any advice on how to ease the transition for both of us? I never expected to become so attached to my LO -- crazy, I know, but she has changed me forever.

Also, thanks to LLLI and all of you wise mothers. I love reading the forums and getting my questions answered!

Default Re: Heading Back to Work...

Aw. It's hard! I don't have any easy answers for you. I was also very surprised at hard it was to return to work - I guess I knew it would be tough, but I just didn't realize HOW tough it would be.

All I can say is ease yourself back into work if possible. I made pumping a more enjoyable part of my day by reading fun reading while I pumped most of the time (sometimes I worked, but not regularly). I tried to focus and be productive while I was at work so that I could go home earlier. As the weeks went by and I saw my baby thriving while I was work, it got easier, and I got used to it. But it is still hard sometimes. It's true, you're changed forever. But that's a good thing.

Feel free to come here to share your feelings if you want to. We've all been there (those of us on the working/breastfeeding forum, anyway).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Are you starting back to work on Thursday or Friday? that's what it sounds like in your post. My SIL did that - went back on a Thursday and it seemed to help her to have a short week.

It is so hard to drop off the most precious thing in your life and leave them for several hours. It does get easier, as joes.mom said, and sometimes it's harder. Now that my daughter is over 2 years old, she'll tell me "I stay you mommy" and it breaks my heart. But she is equally likely to run off the second we get to her in-home day care provider's and play. And when we pick her up, sometimes she doesn't want to come home with us. That's hard too.

I actually eased back into work by going in a couple hours a day the first week, then four hours a day the second, 6 hours a day the third and then my full 9 hour day after that. It doesn't sound like you have time for that...

Good luck and stick around here! These women have been a wealth of support for me and it's nice to have people to talk to who get it - especially for pumping moms.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks for the support! Yes, I start back on Thursday so 2-day week, followed by two 4-day weeks (holiday). I wish we had reasonable part-time options but I'm an attorney and (recovered?) workaholic -- kinda goes with the profession...

I love this place and appreciate the community of understanding!
    Momma to baby girl
    Born at 41 weeks on 9/23/2010
    7 lbs/5 oz/19 in
    exclusively until BLS -- still nursing at 14 mo
    Suffered through colic together until saved by probiotics and dairy-free existence!
    for 13 mo

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsmomma View Post
    I wish we had reasonable part-time options but I'm an attorney and (recovered?) workaholic -- kinda goes with the profession...
    I'm an attorney too - there are several regulars on this forum who are also lawyers. I'm not a workaholic, though, recovered or otherwise. I've always said that the only thing I don't like about lawyers (otherwise generally smart, funny, talkative people) is that they work. too. dang. much.

Now I just need to find a job in the public sector ...

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Wow - we have a ton in common. I'm a lawyer too and also a (recovered - sort of) workaholic. My LO also had colic bad although hers lasted until she was 4 months old so count yourself lucky. It is tough being a working professional. My LO is 17 months today and it's still tough I'm sad to say. I think the toughest part is having a job you don't get to leave at the end of the day - still having to think about crap when you get home. Sometimes I am very jealous of the Wal-Mart stockers or Starbucks Baristas who get to go home and not think about work (or at least that's how I've built it up in my mind - I'm sure they'd be happy to trade). DH stays home with LO and that helps some - not having to worry about her being well cared for.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet.mom View Post
    Wow - we have a ton in common. I'm a lawyer too and also a (recovered - sort of) workaholic. My LO also had colic bad although hers lasted until she was 4 months old so count yourself lucky. It is tough being a working professional. My LO is 17 months today and it's still tough I'm sad to say. I think the toughest part is having a job you don't get to leave at the end of the day - still having to think about crap when you get home. Sometimes I am very jealous of the Wal-Mart stockers or Starbucks Baristas who get to go home and not think about work (or at least that's how I've built it up in my mind - I'm sure they'd be happy to trade). DH stays home with LO and that helps some - not having to worry about her being well cared for.
    My DH is also a SAHP!

I've had those crappy retail jobs, and I spent at least as much time stressing about how I wasn't getting paid diddly squat as I do now about how, if I make a tiny mistake, my client loses huge wads of money. So I KNOW those jobs are not easier, and all in all, I'd rather be worrying about my job than worrying about paying my bills (not that I never worry, but you know, it's not the same) and not having health insurance and all that fun stuff. I mean, we could be digging ditches! We have it pretty good.

But now I've taken to looking at my secretaries with jealousy ... they make decent money, and they don't have to worry about it at night? I mean, I would be a GREAT legal secretary! Ha ha. I think the grass is always greener.

Okay, I'm kidding. Sort of.

You can call me JoMo!