Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: growth spurt???

Question growth spurt???

I had posted this under bf infant but never got any response! I was woundering if when having a growth spurt is it normal for baby to want to feed for hours at a time evert day at the same time and how long at the longest can a growth spurt last?

Default Re: growth spurt???

Got to run- baby's up- but this sounds more like cluster feeding than a growth spurt. It's very normal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How old is your LO?

When my DD would go through growth spurts she'd become very clingy and want to constantly nurse. For her, they'd last several days or so. But it varies from baby to baby.
    Hang in there mama, it'll get better
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

My LO would cluster feed a lot at a young age, but was very attached to me while he was going through growth spurts. He'd nurse for 30 minutes to an hour at a time during those times, and for us it lasted a few days to 5 or 6. Baby is trying to increase your supply if they need more nutritional needs met if they are in fact growing a lot. But like the other mama above said, it's different for all babies......as is teething, sleeping, food choices, etc., all little ones are different.

Sounds normal though. Good luck to you, you'll make it through0
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    Mommy to Landon 1-29-2010, who nursed for 4 years!
    Mommy to DD Sadie born May 2nd, 2014 and nursing like a champ!

We all love and

It's especially normal for babies to want to nurse for hours straight in the evening, even if it's not during a growth spurt. Is that what you're seeing?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Unhappy Re: growth spurt???

Yes she just wants to be there non stop last night had me wanting to quit I started crying I feel guilty because I absoultly hate this I gave her a bottle of expressed milk after 4 straight hours of her being at the breast while se is on the breast she gets mad and trashes her head around pulling at my nippe and grunts and gets mad let's go the roots she gets mad and crys I walk her to sooth her and she starts to root again its like after the first feeding she emptys me and then want to what I have been told is clustter feed but there is nothing there for her or its not a fast enough flow for her! Last night was the 1st bottle I have had to give her in about 3 weeks almost every night when this happens it getts me all stressed about my supply!!! I hope we make it but the last week of non stop being on the breast for 4-5 hours is getting to me!

It does get overwhelming and frustrating mama, but hang in there. It does get better. Try not to stress because that can effect your supply negatively. Drink plenty of water and get some rest. Even if it means just staying in bed with your LO at the breast. It may be that she's trying to stimulate your body (by constantly wanting to suckle) to increase your supply or because she finds it comforting during this confusing & overwhelming time of growth.
    If your LO has enough wet/dirty diapers and is growing just fine (doesn't seem to be coming down with an illness or bug or something) then your supply is enough for your LO.
    Hang in there! It will rough time will pass.

There is great information on this forum, on www.kellymom.com & www.askdrsears.com on growth spurts.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

I'm so sorry to hear that you're frustrated sweetie. A lot of people have gone through what you're going through.

I totally remember my son (he's now 5 months) being attached to me to what felt like 24/7! I'm a first time mom and not knowing what to expect my insanity was taking a toll on me. Eventually, I did learn to enjoy watching tv, reading a book, playing on the XBOX, sleeping whatever it was to keep my mind occupied during my son's constant nursing. Haha there were MANY days where all I did was nurse him.

How old is your LO? Supply and demand feeding is what she needs and I'm sure if she's growing well and getting plenty of wet/poopy diapers then I don't think you have a low supply.

It will get better. Your baby won't be a baby anymore and that's a scary thought for me!

Question Re: growth spurt???

Thanks ladies I know things will get better hopefully! My baby girl is 5 weeks old she has plenty of wet and poopy dipars and I just learn today in 2 weeks she has gained a little over 2 lbs is that good for 2 weeks? It made me happy to know she is gaining! If this is clusster feeding does that ever stop and how long about does it continue for till about how old!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Just4Britt View Post
    Thanks ladies I know things will get better hopefully! My baby girl is 5 weeks old she has plenty of wet and poopy dipars and I just learn today in 2 weeks she has gained a little over 2 lbs is that good for 2 weeks? It made me happy to know she is gaining! If this is clusster feeding does that ever stop and how long about does it continue for till about how old!

That is really good weight gain My DD would cluster feed before every growth spurt and it would last a couple of days until my supply increased. After I would get fuller, DD would go back to bfing every 2-4hrs while I was getting engorged and uncomfortable and praying she'd get up to feed real soon that little stinker!
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13