Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice for going to EP after 9 months of nursing

Default advice for going to EP after 9 months of nursing

Are there any moms out there who mostly nursed but became EPing when baby was much older? My 9.5 month old LO has been on a nursing strike for 3 weeks now. I am trying trying trying to get her back to nursing, but I realize she may never return at this point though I'd like to give her BM until she is at least 1 years old.

How many times should I pump a day? Should I pump as many times as my LO had been nursing or should I pump 8-10 times a day? I'm not sure because I've seen both recommendations on-line for how much to pump if your LO goes on strike. Before the nursing strike, she was nursing 6-7 times a day when she was at home with me so since the strike, I've been pumping with a hospital grade rental 6-7 times a day. I've been getting 20-23 ounces a day though I'm sure I don't pump as much as she'd take if she nursed. This amount, along with some solids, seems to be enough for her. Is 8-10 times essential for me? If I don't pump 8-10 times, will my supply start to diminish? I guess I'm wondering how stable my supply is at this point, after nine months of nursing. How long does it take for me to see my supply start to suffer if it's going to diminish? If my supply dips at this point, would it be really hard to get it back? I wonder if I will have more flexibility after BFing for 9 months, versus if my LO was under 3 or 4 months and I was trying to build my supply.

We nursed until 3 months, when I started work and nursed at home but pumped at work and sent BM with her to daycare. We BFed exclusively until 6 months when we introduced solids. She's been striking when she was 8.75 months, since she got hand foot mouth and wheezing cough with ear infections at the same time. She has since recovered, but still refuses to nurse. She has never liked bottles so I've been feeding her milk by spoon at home, though I send with her 9-12 oz./day to DC and she grudgingly takes a few ounces but the amount she takes at DC varies every day.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've been EPing for 3 weeks, and I think pumping is hard work and I really admire the moms who do it!

Default Re: advice for going to EP after 9 months of nursing

6-7 times is probably good, 24 oz is probably enough if your lo is taking solids and drinking a little water. Dont' give up hope that she'll nurse again. My daughter was on a nursing strike for about 5 months and now she nurses all the time at 16 mos. Also keep offering her breast when she's really sleepy, in the bathtub or when it's really relaxing for both of you. I had to pump a lot the first 11 months due to milk removal difficulties, low supply and strikes but it was SO worth it. Now I have my toddler falling asleep on the breast and we'll go nap together. Hang in there.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

9.5 months is far too young to self-wean. It's a nursing strike. You have my sympathies, mama, that is a hard thing to deal with. I'd keep trying to nurse her in her sleep whenever you get an opportunity, and try the suggestions at kellymom for dealing with a nursing strike. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Otherwise, at this age she still needs around 25-30 oz in a 24 hour period. I'd aim to pump at least every 3-4 hours, and probably once during the night.

But keep trying to get her back to the breast, there's no reason to believe that she's "done" at this age. Have you talked with a lactation consultant or LLLI leader in your area?
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Okay, I will aim to pump at least 7 times with one time at night. It's just that my nipples are very sore from pumping so I dread it.

It's nice to hear that krystine was able to get her baby back to nursing after a FIVE month nursing strike! That gives me hope. I am so sad that the baby is rejecting the breast. I won't give up trying, but I will be less stressed if I have the whole pumping thing figured out. At least I know that the baby will be getting BM.

Thanks for your replies.

Your shields may not be big enough. What kind of pump are you using? Maybe you've got it on too high of a suction? The "regular" 24 mm flanges that came with my Medela PISA were too small for me, they would have worn my nipples off if I had tried to use them. You need to have a little margin around the nipple base for the pump to compress the areola, not rub the nipple. But not too much - it also hurts and doesn't work as effectively if you have too large of a flange as well. The pain is in a different location at that point. I'll see if I can find the link that shows what a well fitting shield is supposed to look like.

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...d-breastshield

This one has pictures:
    http://www.nurturecenter.com/medela-...g-brochure.pdf
    Last edited by @llli*mommy2lilah; December 14th, 2010 at 09:55 AM.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

When i was pumping and having nipple discomfort my LC told me to up the shields a size AND put a thin coating of olive oil on the inside of the flange before pumping. No more discomfort.

The size of the shields may be why I'm experiencing pain. I've been alternating between the 24mm and the 27mm. I wish Medela had a 25.5mm shield. The 24mm is just a tad small and if I don't center my nipples just right, it'll rub, but with the 27mm I feel like too much of my boobs are getting sucked into the shield. I'll try the olive oil with the 24 mm; that might work!

I forgot to answer manatee's question, but I've talked to the LC at the hospital where I had the baby and she told me to keep trying to nurse. I wonder if I try a private LC for more help.

Many striking babies will nurse at night or around naps when they are asleep, or almost asleep. And the more you nurse your baby, the more likely they will get back to the breast (it's circular that way). I know it must be lovely to have a baby that sleeps through the night (well, actually, I have no idea! ) but many moms have gotten their babies back to the breast by taking them to bed with them and nursing them at night. This gets the baby back into the "habit" of nursing, and can help get them back on the breast during the day too.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I agree with joe.s.mom, I'd keep trying to nurse at night. They will nurse in their sleep without waking, seems like the best approach at this point.

Have you seen the Pumpin Pals super shields? They're like cornucopias, more "wiggle room" on shield fit, they go into your existing shields. http://www.pumpinpal.com/html/super_shields.htm
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

yes please keep trying, it was very hard for us and yes it was 5 months of a lot of tears and pumping but keep trying when baby is about asleep, during the night, during naps. Hang in there.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.