Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 days old - too late to try again???

Default Re: 10 days old - too late to try again???

Wow! How encouraging! Thank you all for your support. I will definitely try again today and let you know how it goes. I had no idea it was still possible, but I feel more optimistic now. Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. Great to know I'm not alone!

How do I go about finding someone certified in my area? I found a list of meetings in my area, but not a specific person, and as I'm also recovering from a C-section, I can't drive back to the hospital to work with the lactation consultant there.

Again, thanks for the help. Will let you know how it goes...

Missouri_mom

Is there a phone number or e-mail address as contact info for any of the local LLL meetings? If you can get a message through either route, a Leader should get the msg and respond. Leaders often do home visits, which hospital-based lactation consultants rarely offer.

If you want to PM me with your location, I'll try to help you track down that info.

--Rebecca

I'm not sure if you still check the board, but I only found this website a couple of days ago.
    I want to tell you that breastfeeding was very hard for me at first, in fact it didn't work (latching problems) and I gave it up but kept on pumping and giving her EBM, I didn't think I would nurse her again, but then at 8 weeks she managed to latch and stay on the breast and she has been nursing ever since.
    So, if you managed to nurse her, great, and if you are still pumping please know that it's still not too late to try.

Hospitals are very difficult places for you and your baby to learn and relax. By all means try at home, breastfeeding is so much nicer than pumping and worth all the effort to get there. Besides contacting LLL locally for help try to spend lots and lots of time in bed with baby. Let your baby lay next to your bare breast and get used to the idea, you can squirt a little on her lips but don't worry too much at first about latching. Start by just letting her experiece the smell and feel of the breast. If you have to feed a bottle hold her against your bare breast alongside the nipple. You can hold her and pump at the same time if you are super coordinated. Keep telling yourself you have all the time you need to learn this. Your baby is very smart and she is programmed for nursing. Try to get to meetings where you can see other moms nursing too. Seeing it done is priceless.

You are a wonderful mom and doing a great job!

momuvseven