Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 days old - too late to try again???

Unhappy 10 days old - too late to try again???

I tried for 5 days to BF my new daughter in the hospital. She would not latch on or take the nipple far enough into her mouth or suck hard enough to get the milk. I am feeling terrible guilt about this. I am pumping to give her Breast Milk, though. Is it too late to try again? I have always dreamed of Breastfeeding my baby, so this has been emotionally hard for me, but I don't want it to be so hard and disturbing for her.

Any advice would be appreciated,
    Thanks,
    MO-Mom

Default Re: 10 days old - too late to try again???

Hi MO-Mom,
    How hard for you! You are doing your best and it's not working out like you thought it would. But it is not to late to keep trying! Can you "call in the troops", -- find a local Leader or an IBCLC or both? It's hard to figure out what might be going on without seeing you and baby girl in person.
    You might find this FAQ helpful. It has links to some other articles, too.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    Hang in there and give us an update soon, OK?

Warmly,
    Mary

It might take some work to get the baby to latch, but if you can swing it, it's so worth it. It would definitely be a good idea to get professional help with someone who can analyze the latch process and figure out why the baby's having problems latching. Of couse, you could get lucky like a friend of mine who pumped for a couple of weeks b/c of latch problems, then one day at the lactation consultant's the baby suddenly and for the first time latched on perfectly and never looked back!

Good luck with everything!

It's definitely not too late! And big hugs to you -- I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a hard time and feeling guilty etc. Things with birth and breastfeeding don't always go according to plan -- but it is possible to get a baby to breast even after such a rough start.

You're already doing one of the most important things in this process -- pumping your milk. This establishes your milk supply and, of course, it provides your baby with optimal nourishment and immune protections while she learns how to nurse.

I urge you to call a local LLL Leader for advice and hands-on support. An IBCLC-certified lactation consultant may also provide valuable guidance and evaluation. Latch problems are incredibly common, but they can be a complicated puzzle to solve as there are so many different possible causes. So seek out expert assistance while you continue pumping to meet your baby's need for milk.

This may take a while -- days or weeks. But it is definitely not too late. Here is an encouraging link about babies who were slow to learn but went on to nurse successfully:

http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...e/babyget.html

Let us know how you're doing, and good luck!

--Rebecca

Yes! You can get your baby back to the breast.

You've recieved some good info so far, and I'd like to add this link to what you have now:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

You might also find this information helpful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

I just wanted to offer my support! You can do it mama if you set your mind to it, it is NOT too late!

As the above posters said, seek out someone who is knowledgable who can help you hands on!

((Hugs)) I echo everything said before, it is not too late, I would def call a LL leader or an LC to help you, that is what they are there for. Please keep us updated!

I know one woman who got her baby back to the breast after 3 weeks of pumping and bottles and another who did it afeter 3 months! It is definately not too late. Just wanted to tell you that as an encouragement. You have been given great info already. The best of luck!

I also had problems with latchon. I pumped for the first 2 1/2 weeks and out of no where he just latched on. I just kept trying. I was so frustrated. I didn't even like when other women would hold him. But I would try once a day and he finally took it. Don't give up just keep trying.

Definitely not too late. Dr Jack Newman talks about treating mothers who have had no luck for six weeks plus. It can be done. Keep pumping. Have lots of gentle skin-to-skin time. You do need a professional or an experienced breastfeeder to give you some pointers. How is you nipple shape? Have you tried pumping so it's a bit more extended and then offering?
    Good Luck