Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy Baby... Im so stressed out!

Default Fussy Baby... Im so stressed out!

Hi everyone

My son is 7 wks. I just switched from pumping and bottle feeding to breast feeding. He is so fussy and cranky. Its awful... I am switching Left to right about eveery 5 mintes and i just read NOT to do that... I guess I should be doing just one breast fully? I didnt know that, the lactaional lady never told me this... Also the tips of my breast are white when he is done feeding, and they are so sore I could cry... HELPPP PLEASE....I am ready to give up....

Default Re: Fussy Baby... Im so stressed out!

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. It sounds to me you are doing just what you should. Usually around 6-7 weeks they go through a growth spurt and will do what we call cluster feeding. My lo ate like crazy to up my supply. Switching from left to right is good as it balances your supply on both sides.

I used to feed on one side and when he pulled off or wasn't sucking anymore I'd take him off burp him and chill out till I saw clues that he was hungry again ( sucking on hands, rooting like he was looking for a breast etc). Sometimes that was right away and sometimes 5 mins later or a half hour later. Just keep doing what your doing it will
    Get easier I promise I used to wanna quit but kept telling myself I can do it and I still am 4 mths strong.

At around 12 weeks your supply will
    Regulate to what his needs are and your amount of time for feedings usually drop. Just hang in there. There is real good info on kellymom.com about this I can't post links I'm on a cell phone I would check it out. Good luck and hang in there mama :-)

Oh about the white tips mine do that also still it from him
    Sucking. It should disappear shortly after feedings. If it looks like a blister type whiteness it may be a milk blister. You can put lanolin cream on your nipples if they are super sore after every feeding it will help also cold ice packs to help also.

If it is a milk blister here is link on how to tell http://www.mother-2-mother.com/nippl...tm#MilkBlister.

Here is some info on cluster feeding. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Info on growth spurts
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/spurt.html

Info on what you can do about sore nipples
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/heal.html

Hope this helps. I had to come back and give links :-)
    Last edited by @llli*tehquiena80; December 12th, 2010 at 10:32 PM.

Thank you for the imput.. I am not gonig to give up. I just really need to get this situated bc I start back to work the first of the year. I am so stressed out, I hope we can get this figured out by then..

I called my dr. and she gave me some compound for the nipple soreness. It seems to be helping a little.

I am confused though, I keep reading to not switch left to right... and to only let him feed off one. And to not have him stop until he unlatches....?? Then if he still seems hungry then let him eat from the other side... Is this correct information?

What do I do with the other breast? pump? I mean that kinda stinks...

I think what it's trying to say is offer him your breast that you didn't last feed off of first. They can eat anywhere from 5-45 mins in the beginning weeks. If he unlatches that's ok burp him (he may or may not burp) and offer the other side he may or may not take it. If he does ok good let him eat if he doesn't that's ok also you can feed him on that one later when he wants to eat again.

Sometimes they will take both sides and sometimes they won't. You just gotta remember which breast you last fed him on so that way you don't get engorged from skipping a side. In the beginning weeks I did try and let him stay on the whole time he wanted because when they stop sucking actively that means they are comfort sucking and they do that alot it will help your supply go up but does make you sore there were times I just had to pull
    Him off when this happened if i was super sore but tried to let him do it as much as I could handle. I was a human pacifier lol.

There is really no need to pump other side unless you want to because you can offer it at the next feeding time. You don't want to get an oversupply issue as that can cause a whole new set of issues. One breast or both is purely up to you. :-)
    Last edited by @llli*tehquiena80; December 12th, 2010 at 11:04 PM.

You should try and nurse until the baby is finished on the 1st breast, and then offer the 2nd breast. They will normally unlatch or really slow down with their swallowing when they are done with the first breast. You can tell if he is swallowing cuz you will hear a kind of puff sound (nurse in a really quiet room to hear it until you get it figured out). He may even nurse for a while on the 2nd breast and then want to go back to the 1st breast (especially if your supply is a bit low, he is going through a growth spurt, etc). If he is a really good nurser, then it may just be 5 minutes on each breast - but if he has mainly been bottle fed, he will probably take longer on the breasts until he gets better at breastfeeding.

He is probably fussy with the breast because he is used to a bottle which normally has a faster flow than your breast does. Try doing breast compressions when he starts to fuss which can help him get more milk. He is probably going to be fussy for a while though until he gets more used to the breast vs the bottle. http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_abo...mpression.html

It'll get easier so keep at it - also, visit www.kellymom.com for TONS of info on breastfeeding.
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs

Last edited by @llli*jenblueeyes81; December 12th, 2010 at 11:28 PM.
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs