Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need to vent to other BF moms

Default Re: need to vent to other BF moms

Jenblueeyes, that's a good idea.

I've heard that lethicin is useful for thinning out milk. I eat a lot of tofu and get it that way

Happy to hear that your husband is home tonight! You need a break and he needs to see LO and you. At least with a spouse on active duty your medical bills are covered.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Aww... I'm so sorry to hear that but I think it's wonderful that you're trying to have a good attitude about it!

Don't you have any other girlfriends or neighbors who are willing to keep you company? I know when I had my baby I felt soooo lonely and I just wanted someone to sit and talk with me while my husband was at work. I didn't necessarily need help, just a gal pal to talk to. With your husband in CG I can't imagine not having my husband right beside me. Kudos to you!

Hang in there. You are one strong woman and things will be okay!

Thanks for the support

I had my 6-week postpartum and what they did was put me on a different antibiotic, a 10-day dose of diflucan and they refilled my APNO prescription and told me to try Gentian violet just on the cracks...we are hoping to kick out for good whatever is going on in my breasts.

My nipples are still crazy sore - and I noticed when I put the Gentian violet on I can see it transfer to his tongue about halfway back, so now I'm just wondering if indeed our latch is correct.

It was great having my hubby home for a night - and he'll be home on Saturday until January...YAY! I do have some friends here and they have been wonderful.

Well, LO is almost 7 weeks old and his little personality is coming out more and more every day - which makes this BF struggle so much more worth it.

Thanks again everyone

And now?
    Katharine

He is doing great latching - but my breasts/nipples just won't heal. I don't know what to do, short of pumping for a couple days and giving him my milk in a bottle. The cracks in my nipples have grown together, and now it's like one huge hole...it's still so painful despite his latch. I have OALD, so he manipulates my nipple somehow with his tongue to handle the flow - which I don't think would be a problem if my nipples weren't so damaged. But I'm hanging in there...determined to make this work. I used to have a nipple shield, so considering bringing that back to protect my nipples. Just not sure what the right step is.

I'm scratching my head too, but replying anyway so you know someone's listening and to bump up your post!

I'll tell you one thing, though. That determination is all you will really need. A while ago someone started a thread on how you made it through the early days, and many of the veteran members here said something along the lines of:
    I was determined to make it work, I decided to be confident in my body that I could do this, and I didn't regard artificial milk as a possible alternative.

Pretty much sums it up for me. I didn't have cracked nipples like you have, but I had other bfing issues: but never, ever allowed any artificial milk in the house. Even when I was dying to ask DH to go out and buy some, I didn't. I took painkillers and muttered a lot under my breath.
    Katharine

Ahhh!! I seriously think there is a correlation between my DH leaving and mastitis! I dropped him off at the airport last night, he'll be gone for a month, and I had NO symptoms (other than my cracked nipples that will not heal)...woke up at 2am with a throbbing breast, achy muscles and a fever. UGH. I started an even stronger dose of antibiotics today, and think I broke my fever...for now anyway....but it's SO frustrating! I wonder if my stress level when he leaves brings down my immune system or something??

Anyway - not to beat a dead horse, but I am just so down. LO is 9 weeks and I'm just so burnt out trying to make this work, especially when I'm here alone. Thankfully my mom is flying out in 2 weeks to stay with me.

Thanks for listening...again.

Ugh. Like you, I had mastitis, then thrush, then mastitis, then thrush, and I was just beside myself in pain while nursing. But six weeks was a turning point for me, and I hope it will be for you too (oops, sorry, see your LO is seven weeks, but still, that's early days). You can do it - just hang in there a few more weeks, and I bet you'll be feeling a lot better. For me, it took until even the four to five month point to really enjoy nursing, but in the context of the 20-odd months I have been nursing Joe, that's nothing, you know? Just a short phase, a distant memory. Hang in there.

P.S. I think the IBCLC might be referring to lecithin supplements? I took those for a long time, and they might have been really helpful - I definitely had less problems after that, whether it was bc of the supplements or just my body getting used to BF'ing.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Other than the mastitis it sounds just like me. I started to turn around at 12 weeks. Could he have a tongue tie?? My LO did.

Also wanted to say WAY TO GO MAMA!! Its hard to stick out the pain but you have!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Just an update - after round 3 of mastitis, I met with the IBCLC again two days ago.

We determined that although his latch is not perfect due to his attempt to deal with my crazy flow - at 10 weeks it shouldn't be causing me as much constant pain as it is and I should have definitely healed by now with all the prescriptions and attention they've been getting and at least gotten used to the discomfort...so we started looking for medical explanations and I met with my midwife today who totally thinks I have Raynaud's of the nipple due to some of my other symptoms I'd been having, and Raynaud's can actually prevent the nipples from healing...

So I started my meds tonight and she said we should know within just a few days if this is it. She said one time I will go to BF and it will be like "Ahhh. this is it." So I'm really, really, really, really hoping that this is it. She said most likely I'd only need to be on meds for 2 weeks. Keep your fingers crossed for me pleaaaaaassssse!