Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does my milk taste bad to her?

Default Does my milk taste bad to her?

Hello ladies. I've recently come across a bit of an issue with DD. I'll explain.

In the past week I have noticed that DD is nursing less and less often. We have to supliment with a special formula due to her weight gain issues, but I am pumping when she has a bottle, and nursing her all through the night. Last night she completely refused my breast. She put her mouth to it, sucked once, and then cried with a mouthfull of milk before spitting it all out. I then leaked all over her while trying to get her to drink! Needless to say it was a huge battle. I eventually gave her to hubby and expressed into a bottle.. and get this. SHE REFUSED IT! This is a first. She would normally be happy to have expressed milk from a bottle, but now she won't even take that.

I've noticed that my milk has also started to 'dry up'. Last night I managed to express (by hand) about an ounce from each breast. Tonight I managed about 1/4oz from each breast!

I am wondering what is going on.. My breasts seem full and larger than usual, and quite tender as well. Is this because DD won't nurse and they're filling up? But surely that would mean there would be plenty of milk and yet there doesn't seem to be.

Ideas, comments, questions and advice welcome. Thanks!

Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we had problems..
    EP'ED for 3 months!
    Thomas born Feb 14th 2015 by emcs due to him presenting sideways with a hand first! Trying EBF again!

Default Re: Does my milk taste bad to her?

Bump!

Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    EP'ED for 3 months!
    Thomas born Feb 14th 2015 by emcs due to him presenting sideways with a hand first! Trying EBF again!

why don't you supplement with your expressed milk instead of giving formula?
    if you think you may have low supply you want to nurse and pump as much as you can.
    how low is her weight gain?
    I ask you this because many peds give formula very easily even when there is no real need for it.BM has more fats than formula...so BM is the best thing to give to a baby with slow weight gain.
    did she take the formula after she refused your expressed BM?
    are you just hand expressing?you probably want to use a good electric pump if you need to boost your supply.
    how much formula are you supplementing?
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elimaka View Post
    why don't you supplement with your expressed milk instead of giving formula?
    I tried to but she wouldn't take it from a bottle. She is one very fussy baby!

if you think you may have low supply you want to nurse and pump as much as you can.
    My supply was fine. It went crashing down in less than 2 days. DD still refuses to drink from me during the day, but at night when she is asleep she will take it just fine.
    how low is her weight gain?
    I ask you this because many peds give formula very easily even when there is no real need for it.BM has more fats than formula...so BM is the best thing to give to a baby with slow weight gain.
    Her weight was below the bottom centile on her charts. Since she is lactose, milk protein and soya allergic, she is on an elemental formula and I am being VERY careful what I am eating... She has started gaining properly since being on the formula.. I've been told my bm is not fatty enough for her because of all the things I've had to cut from my diet due to her allergies.
    did she take the formula after she refused your expressed BM?
    Yes.. but not very much. Only about an ounce.
    are you just hand expressing?you probably want to use a good electric pump if you need to boost your supply.
    I do both. I have used a combination of hand expressing (which so far I find works the best), using a Tommy Tippee maunal pump, an Avent manual pump and I now have two Medella mini-electric pumps that I find suck forever in a day and don't do much so I have to hand express until I start a letdown and the put the elec pump on. It then pumps fine, but I still only end up with a teeny bit of milk. Oh did I mention I'm taking Fenugreek too now?
    how much formula are you supplementing?
    She has one 4oz bottle in the morning, one 4oz bottle at lunch or just after and one 4oz bottle in the evening. Between this we try bf quite a bit and some times she'll just play with my breast and others she'll have a few good sucks, but she hasn't induced a letdown for days.

Ooh. Last night before I put her to bed, she actually fell asleep at the breast after having a good 8 minute feed! (for her that's fairly long as she'd normally only last around 5 minutes.)

Just so you know, she'll be 8mths old tomorrow and last time I had her weighed she was just 13lb4oz. She was born at term+4 and weighed 7lb1oz.

Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping we can figure some things out as my breasts are now really tender and they feel HUGE.

EP'ED for 3 months!

Have you changed your diet any? Food tastes can transfer to some degree into your milk.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

I tried to but she wouldn't take it from a bottle. She is one very fussy baby!
    fussyness can be due to several reasons,for example teething.my LO refused the breast when teething and I had to pump

My supply was fine. It went crashing down in less than 2 days. DD still refuses to drink from me during the day, but at night when she is asleep she will take it just fine.
    this is typical of teething babies
    Her weight was below the bottom centile on her charts. Since she is lactose, milk protein and soya allergic, she is on an elemental formula and I am being VERY careful what I am eating... She has started gaining properly since being on the formula..
    when did you discover the allergies?if you've been eating that stuff she is allergic to,it's obvious she was not gaining.her body could not absorb the nutrients properly.and it takes a long time for dairy to clean out of your system,it took nearly 3 months for me.after my milk got dairy free my LO started gaining again

I've been told my bm is not fatty enough for her because of all the things I've had to cut from my diet due to her allergies.
    this is absolutely not true.BM is always fat,regardless of what you eat,your ped is telling you a thing that was said 30 years ago.but science moved on since then.probably he has missed something...

Yes.. but not very much. Only about an ounce.
    I do both. I have used a combination of hand expressing (which so far I find works the best), using a Tommy Tippee maunal pump, an Avent manual pump and I now have two Medella mini-electric pumps that I find suck forever in a day and don't do much so I have to hand express until I start a letdown and the put the elec pump on. It then pumps fine, but I still only end up with a teeny bit of milk. Oh did I mention I'm taking Fenugreek too now?
    for mantaining a good supply you should rent an hospital grade double pump like medela symphony and pump every two hours.and feed your baby your expressed milk.maybe in a cup.at 8 mos many babies love to drink from a cup.try to nurse every time she's half asleep.
    She has one 4oz bottle in the morning, one 4oz bottle at lunch or just after and one 4oz bottle in the evening. Between this we try bf quite a bit and some times she'll just play with my breast and others she'll have a few good sucks, but she hasn't induced a letdown for days.

Ooh. Last night before I put her to bed, she actually fell asleep at the breast after having a good 8 minute feed! (for her that's fairly long as she'd normally only last around 5 minutes.)

Just so you know, she'll be 8mths old tomorrow and last time I had her weighed she was just 13lb4oz. She was born at term+4 and weighed 7lb1oz.

Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping we can figure some things out as my breasts are now really tender and they feel HUGE.

so this make me think your supply is not that bad.get a good pump to empty your breasts well,and give BM to your DD.is the best food she can have!
    Last edited by @llli*elimaka; January 3rd, 2011 at 09:34 AM.

if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

so this make me think your supply is not that bad.get a good pump to empty your breasts well,and give BM to your DD.is the best food she can have!
    BM is better than formula and giving BM is preferred, as we all know...but if I'm reading her post correctly, the issue is that baby is refusing her breast and expressed breast milk by bottle...right?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    BM is better than formula and giving BM is preferred, as we all know...but if I'm reading her post correctly, the issue is that baby is refusing her breast and expressed breast milk by bottle...right?
    yes,what I was suggesting is to try expressed milk in a cup.
    sometimes teething babies prefer to drink in cups because it's less pressure in their muouth

if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    Have you changed your diet any? Food tastes can transfer to some degree into your milk.
    No, my diet hasn't changed. DD's weight began to drop when she was around 4mths old. It was about that time that I thought she was really teething but nothing has become of it. Now at 8mths she still has no sign of teeth. No red/white gums, no blisters etc. I dd ebf till she was 6mths old and then introduced food which she screamed for every meal time and in between. Her weight also started to pick up drastically around the same time making me think I was unintentionally starving her..

fussyness can be due to several reasons,for example teething.my LO refused the breast when teething and I had to pump
    She takes her formula from a bottle just fine.. and generally has a good squeel if she doesn't get it on time. I did try giving her a bit of expressed bm from a bottle top (smaller than a cup and clear so I can see what's going on) and she drank it okay. It -was- only a little bit though.

this is typical of teething babies
    As said before, still no sign of teeth, but I will give teething powders and calpol and see if she'll take breast again. I sure hope so..

when did you discover the allergies?if you've been eating that stuff she is allergic to,it's obvious she was not gaining.her body could not absorb the nutrients properly.and it takes a long time for dairy to clean out of your system,it took nearly 3 months for me.after my milk got dairy free my LO started gaining again
    DD was around 2 weeks old and I had eaten a home made mac&cheese (which was LOADED with dairy) and she exibited the exact same symptoms as DS and I do when we've had dairy.. I tried it again with a chicken pie (also home made and with milk in it) and the same thing happened again. I should stress here that dairy allergies run VERY strongly in my family. All my siblings, mom and dad and grandparents suffer with it (my dad is deaf in one ear thanks to multiple drum bursts thanks to him having fresh milk from the cow on the farm he grew up on .. parents didn't know he was alergic at the time). The soya we discovered after I started to wean her as I used to use soya formula in her cereal as I couldn't spare the expressed milk (was already low on supply by then and giving DD every spare ounce I had!) to use instead. She used to puke the whole load up after every cereal and my HV eventually figured it out.

this is absolutely not true.BM is always fat,regardless of what you eat,your ped is telling you a thing that was said 30 years ago.but science moved on since then.probably he has missed something...
    Eerm.. See above where I talked about the lack of weight gain after about 4 months. I could upload a picture of her weight chart if you like.. She was at my breast every 2 hours and although it was only for 10 minutes, she seemed satisfied. I guess I was wrong?

for mantaining a good supply you should rent an hospital grade double pump like medela symphony and pump every two hours.and feed your baby your expressed milk.maybe in a cup.at 8 mos many babies love to drink from a cup.try to nurse every time she's half asleep.
    I TRIED THIS!!! My breastfeeding team told me that my case wasn't IMPORTANT enough and that there were other mums who were more DESPERATE to feed their babies and they would get the pump before I could have it!!! This is why I bought the Medela Mini Electric. I couldn't afford a swing or symphony. I'm gonna try pumping every 2 hours though. Haven't tried that yet. How long should I pump for each time? Oh, and by the way, DD loves to drink from a normal cup, but won't touch a non-spill sippy cup..

Yeah I thought my supply wasn't that bad either, but I guess I was wrong. Hell I don't know WHAT to think anymore. I'm just so tired of this fighting thing. I'm starting to think I should just give her the formula and be done with breast feeding. DD IS now 8mths and I'd only planned to bf her for 6mths.

EP'ED for 3 months!

I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble.

Have you thought about trying to mix some of your expressed milk in with the formula? Do you think she'd take that?

Maybe it's a way to continue getting some breastmilk into her. Some is better than none right?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness