Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need to vent to other BF moms

Default need to vent to other BF moms

I'm not looking for any sort of advice this time (surprise, surprise!). Just need to vent. My hubby is in the CG and is currently out at sea so I can't call him, and my family is in another time zone so it's almost 1am there...so thankful I at least have this forum!

LO is 6 weeks old and we've had our fair share of BF problems...I finally thought I was on the right track - even told my mom earlier today that we are 100% better than we were 2 weeks ago, and we were on the right track.

On Tuesday, I was put on a 2nd round of antibiotics for mastitis, along with 3 doses of anti-yeast stuff as a preventative, and a 2nd round of APNO cream to help my nipples along...I was REALLY hoping that this would be our last battle before smooth sailing. But the last 2 nights I've had a fever, and then tonight all of a sudden, my nipples and breasts are incredibly sore. I think his 6 week growth spurt is starting and I honestly don't know how I'm going to cope. I am here all alone with no help at all. I stopped nursing over an hour ago and my breasts are throbbing as I type. Both breasts are pink and tender, and my nipples look like they have huge holes in them. I pumped earlier today to get some of the "hard" spots out that wouldn't resolve with heat & massage alone.

I just started bawling this last nursing session & even warmed up a bottle of expressed milk for him (which he refused). He seems so hungry that he's not happy unless he's attached to my nipple - which is causing me so, so, so much pain.

Anyway - thanks for listening...wish me luck.

Default Re: need to vent to other BF moms

(((hugs))) mama! i know how you feel in regards to pain hang in there, it's bound to get better! at least that's what i keep telling myself. i've read tons of posts of people with similar problems and many of them took until 3-4 months to resolve but then they nursed successfully and pain-free for a long time! so i guess we should just try and stick it out a little bit longer.
    Last edited by @llli*mama.eli; December 12th, 2010 at 05:36 AM.

Mama, you're doing so well. When the going got tough, you got going! So many would have quit instead. And while you're still in the thick of the hard part, it will get better. 6 weeks is still very young.

Are you still on antibiotics? Throbbing, pink, painful breasts with hard lumps combined with fever- that's textbook mastitis.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Exactly, it sounds just like mastitis.

I gotta be honest with you--I had terrible pain from nipple bleeding, thrush and Raynaud's phenomenon. I took the antenatal meds for bfing pain, full stop. I would cry when my daughter cued, and ordered DH and her godmother to bounce her, entertain her, distract her for 15 minutes because I needed a break. My daughter bf several times an hour for months. Between the 8th and 9th weeks I realized the pain was going away. I'd done nothing different. It just stopped hurting.

You're almost there. But go call your doc because mastitis is mastitis. It's going to get easier. You're almost there.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

have you seen an IBCLC? extreme pain while nursing, reoccuring breast infections and insatiable baby just doesnt sound like a normal combo to me. sounds like baby isnt transfering milk properly.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

no other advice to add but wanted to send you a and you're a trooper to have beeb sticking with it.

Thanks for the support - we made it through the night! Woo-hoo! Only one more night until DH will be home for a night...

I have seen two certified LC, and they helped with our latch in the beginning weeks, gave me a hospital pump to borrow to help and call to check in every week or so.

I am still on antibiotics and anti-yeast medicine, my CNMV saw me last week and thought I still had mastitis, so she put me on a stronger & longer dose. She thought the on-call physician who originally prescribed didn't prescribe a strong enough dose, so the infection was never fully kicked. Thankfully, I see her tomorrow for my 6-week postpartum - so I am definitely going to ask her again. Apparantly there is a chance that penicillin won't work and they need to prescribe something more potent, so maybe that is my case.

LO is gaining weight steadily, he's up more than 3 lbs since birth and he has plenty of wets and dirty diapers..

I'm just hoping it's the persistent infection causing all this pain and not something else. Thankful hubby will be home at least for one night to give me a little break.

Thanks for listening

I read in a different post earlier today that it may help if you have a culture done. Another women was being treated with different antibiotics for months and it turns out the type of bacteria she had was resistant to all of those antibiotics. If you have a culture done, they can get very specific on which antibiotic to use.

I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs

Hello mama

I'm so sorry to here about your troubles. You are doing great and your lo is so lucky to have a mom like you Carr so much about them that you persevere through tuff times to make their life better and healthier.

I know it's hard to not have support I would contact your local lll league and find help there. I did and boy was it a life saver and still is. I have never had the infections you have so can't give advice there but j will say keep up what ur doing your are doing a fabulous job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenblueeyes81 View Post
    I read in a different post earlier today that it may help if you have a culture done. Another women was being treated with different antibiotics for months and it turns out the type of bacteria she had was resistant to all of those antibiotics. If you have a culture done, they can get very specific on which antibiotic to use.

Thanks for the info. i have my 6-week postpartum visit tomorrow, and I am definitely going to ask about it. Also, the IBCLC I've met with called to check on me today, and when I told her what was going on - she let me know there is actually something I can take to try to thin out my milk a little bit...which might decrease my clogged ducts which would decrease the chances of recurring mastitis. I told her when I pump the milk is extremely thick...

Thanks for all the support and BF love...I definitely needed it.