Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Meds we can take for the pain? (and other questions)

Default Meds we can take for the pain? (and other questions)

i've posted my story in other threads already but briefly, my baby is 2 months old, she has a problem with tongue tie that can't be clipped (it's a more weird type of tongue tie) and shallow latch and i can't do anything about it besides waiting for her mouth to grow bigger. for a week now we have been ebf-ing (before i used to feed her bottles of expressed milk half the time) and i thought things were getting better - my nipples finally seemed to be healing. but since yesterday ONE nipple is all of a sudden REALLY painful again, i can barely take it anymore and i end up crying hysterically at feedings and getting mad at my daughter, as if its her fault

anyway, i recall reading in another thread that i can take ibuprofen for the pain? well i just went to get some and it says on the leaflet that it's NOT recommended to use during breastfeeding so i didn't buy it. so it is safe or isn't it ?? and if it is, how exactly does it work? how long before nursing should i take it so it takes effect and how long is the effect for? how many a day can i take? and if anyone has used it for nipple pain, does it really help?

Default Re: Meds we can take for the pain? (and other questions)

Well, consider this...ibuprofen is one of the things the hospital often gives you for pain after giving birth. I use it when I have headaches. I think though, if you are thinking about using on a regular basis for your nipple pain, you may want to discuss it with your doctor.

Kellymom.com says its a level 1 which means its general safe.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/pain-meds.html
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

thanks!
    any advice on how to take them?
    Baby girl born 10-15-2010

with tongue tie - hardest thing i've ever done, and the most rewarding. Also , and

A little off topic, but have you considered a nipple shield for that side for a while? I know many people dont like them and it can be hard to wean off them, but I used it for about 3 weeks when my son's latch was really shallow and I was in so much pain my toes would curl when he latched on. I weaned him off when he got a little stronger and my nipple were able to heal from the cracked and bloody mess they were.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

i tried them from week 1 to 3 but they didn't really work - it still hurt a lot and the cracks kept getting worse. haven't tried them again since
    Baby girl born 10-15-2010

with tongue tie - hardest thing i've ever done, and the most rewarding. Also , and