Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any idea what's going on here?

Default Any idea what's going on here?

Hi folks, I'm looking for your thoughts on this if you've got a minute.

My little girl is nearly 12 weeks old and we've had a lot of stress with oversupply - green poo, wind, pain etc. I've almost got it sorted - seems to be a process of constant adjustment and I'm taking the block up to 8 hours or sometimes more overnight and the milk keeps on coming.

I'm noticing just now that she has yellow poo in the mornings, and is fairly settled, but by evening she often can't get to sleep because she's got a sore tummy, and will have several really gassy green mucusy nappies before finally settling. She's getting overtired and miserable as a result

When the oversupply was a feature she had green manky explosive nappies several times a day, no yellow at all. So I think it might be something different. I did try excluding dairy a few weeks back to no avail, but maybe our oversupply was still problematic enough that it was masking a problem, I don't know.

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas? She's very, very alert so gets tired really easily. Anything that means we miss the window during which she's receptive to going to sleep is disastrous!

Default Re: Any idea what's going on here?

I believe when you exclude dairy it takes a while to get out of your system. So are you saying that you feel it isnt oversupply that is casuing the problem? Maybe there is another food sensitivity?
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Hi and thanks.

I excluded dairy meticulously for 2 weeks.

I'm not sure if it's still an oversupply issue. She's ok in the morning but as the day wears on she gets grumpier and the poo gets greener!

It can take up to 6 weeks to get dairy entirely out of your system, but you should see improvement earlier. It could also be another allergen. Wheat and soy allergies and intolerances also tend to manifest as tummy upsets.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I still wouldn't rule out the oversupply option. If this were an allergy/intolerance, I would expect that you would get green poos all day long. But you're consistently seeing them in the evening. Now, your milk supply fluctuates over the course of the day, and many moms notice that their milk is most abundant at one specific time of day (often the early morning). So I'm thinking that what could be happening is that at at some time of day, perhaps in the morning, your body is still overproducing and your baby is taking in a lot of lactose-rich foremilk. By the evening, that lactose-rich milk has made it's way through her digestive system and turned into green poop.

Yes, I had thought if it was an allergen of some sort and it was only causing a problem at one time of day it would be easy to identify but no joy.

I suppose what you've said about oversupply makes sense mommal ... I am still block feeding but in anticipation of an impending growth spurt I've gone easy with it recently. I do wake with one very full breast so i suppose that might be the problem ... I am sticking to two feeds on one breast before changing sides and she's more than happy with that, never eems hungry for the other breast - I guess that means there's still tons of milk and I could cut back some more, huh?

I'm totally new to these forums as a poster, but have been lurking for months now. I agree with other posts so far but want to add that you shouldn't write off dairy as the cause. We had VERY similar goings-on with our baby girl, who is now 15 weeks, even including the good morning poos and green for the rest of the day. I am also block feeding, usually going 2-3 feeds per side. I cut out ALL dairy three weeks ago (including the hidden stuff), and am just now starting to see what I think may be improvement. So, my point is that if dairy was the cause, cutting it out for 2 weeks likely isn't sufficient. HTH