Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I gave up

Default I gave up

I'm soooooo tired of dealing with recurrent plugged ducts. I've had over a dozen bouts the past 3 months, and had them EVERY week the past 4 weeks. Many of the times the plugs are so bad an entire half of my breast is hard as rock. Like this time . I don't have any patience or energy to deal with them ANY more... (last time I had something like this it took almost 10 days for it to resolve) so I'm going to try ultrasound therapy this time. Dr. Jack Newman told me it's safe and effective. Dr. Alicia Dermer wrote a prescription for me. I was scared of the word "ultrasound" and what it might do to my long-term breast health... but I CANNOT give up nursing DD YET (she's 14MO) OR have the patience or energy to deal with plugs any more, having to refrain from holding my baby, to be always stressed when nursing her or rocking her to sleep, to be aware how I'm lying when I sleep to make sure my breast's not pressed hard or long.... as now the slightest pressure or anything like that would give me plugs.

Anyone here has done ultrasound therapy for plugged milk ducts?

Default Re: I gave up

I'm sure you have, but just to cover bases, have you tried soy lecithin?

I dont know anything about ultrasound therapy and thankfully havent had any duct issues - but I just wanted to send you a big . Sounds like you have really been through the ringer with this and doing well fighting it. I hope and am sure things will get better for you before you know it!
    I'm a proud first time mommy , born 10/19/2010 and a wife to an amazing husband

Birth 10/19/2010: 7lbs 3oz
    3 days old 10/22: 6lbs 6oz
    2 1/2 weeks old 11/05: 6lbs 14oz
    4 weeks old 11/17: 7lbs 15oz
    8 weeks old 12/15: 10lbs
    4 months old 2/28: 14lbs

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    I'm sure you have, but just to cover bases, have you tried soy lecithin?
    Thanks. I have. Been taking it for a month now.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenblueeyes81 View Post
    I dont know anything about ultrasound therapy and thankfully havent had any duct issues - but I just wanted to send you a big . Sounds like you have really been through the ringer with this and doing well fighting it. I hope and am sure things will get better for you before you know it!
    Thank you!

So they were able to let me have the first ultrasound session today. No clear progress yet . From one edge of the "lump" to the other it's at least 4 inches. I'm having to come again tomorrow, Saturday, and Monday, and we'll see where we are then.

This time I'm going to do whatever it takes to make these go AND not come back!!!

I did try ultrasound therapy twice but it didn't work. What eventually worked for me was getting antibiotics because I actually had a breast infection and just didn't realize it - I thought it was just a (big) plugged duct. It cleared up in about a day, went away and never came back. You may want to visit your OB if the ultrasound doesn't work. If you've had plugged ducts that often, it almost sounds like an infection that isn't going away - that doesn't sound normal to me. The other thing you could try is chiropractics - my chiropractor said sometimes when you're out of adjustment it can affect your endocrine system which can cause plugged ducts. Worth a try maybe.

Thank you for your input.

When you said ultrasound therapy didn't work for you, did you mean it didn't clear the plug at all OR it did but the plug "came back" (in the same spot)?

For me every time the plug(s) clear but I just have them again in the same spot some time later (like the last time I had plugs right here was 3 weeks ago, and my breast felt 99% normal in between)

I hope to avoid abx if possible . But I like the chiropractics idea - will try if ultrasound ended up not working (but I HOPE it does )

you'll have to let us know how that works, so maybe we can tell a new mom about it later...

Yes, what Andrea said. I'm also a recurring plug/infection sufferer. I wold be thrilled to take antibiotics if it meant this would be over (I normally try to avoid like you, but hey, bacterial infections are why they're around). Have they checked for that? I think it's just a culture of the milk.

Big hug. I've had about 20 plugs/infections over 4 years and they are clustering closer together now. I can relate.
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion

It didn't clear it at all for me. I remember it being so frustrating - I can't imagine having them as often as you are. I had to call around a lot to find someone who would do it and finally found a sports medicine/chiropractor who did it but had never used ultrasound for that before. Maybe it was lack of experience - who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irismom View Post

I hope to avoid abx if possible .
    i have never heard of U/S therapy to clear plugs, so please KUP on what this is all about! Really neat!

I have a question- have you used ABX for them in the past? The two times this happened to me ABX worked like a charm pretty much right away. It was a life saver.

From my understanding the soy lecithin won't clear a plug but will help a future one from developing.

You are a good momma for going through this!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09