Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly pump issue - Avent Duo Isis

Default Possibly pump issue - Avent Duo Isis

I pump three times while at work for 15 to 20 minutes each time. I always wait to stop pump at least once I've hit the 15 minute mark and after all drops have stopped coming out. However, when I take off the pump flanges, I still fill full and will be able to squeeze (manually) more drops and a couple of sprays from both sides. Does this mean that my pump isn't emptying my breasts and if not, could this hurt my already low supply? I've been thinking of renting a hospital grade pump for a month to see if that would help. Should I go ahead and spend the money (it will be about $100 total since I have to "purchase" the tubing, etc.)? I've only been using the pump for less than 2 months.

Default Re: Possibly pump issue - Avent Duo Isis

Do you get more than one let down when you pump? If not you can stimulate one. What I did was wait until that first initial spray started to slow down, give it a minute or two after, then try for a second let down. I'm not familiar with your pump, some have a 'let down' button that will increase the speed of the sucking for a few minutes. If you don't have a button you can just turn up the speed of the pump (and turn down the suction a bit if it's uncomfortable) and let it go on high for a few minutes.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Do you get more than one let down when you pump? If not you can stimulate one. What I did was wait until that first initial spray started to slow down, give it a minute or two after, then try for a second let down. I'm not familiar with your pump, some have a 'let down' button that will increase the speed of the sucking for a few minutes. If you don't have a button you can just turn up the speed of the pump (and turn down the suction a bit if it's uncomfortable) and let it go on high for a few minutes.
    I usually get two or three on one side and two on the other side within 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jewels1273 View Post
    I usually get two or three on one side and two on the other side within 15 minutes.
    Oh wow, that's pretty good. How many ounces are you getting? Or maybe a better question would be are you getting enough milk to see her through the next day? If so, then your production is matching her needs and there will be no harm to your supply.

You say you have low supply, though, what makes you think that?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Oh wow, that's pretty good. How many ounces are you getting? Or maybe a better question would be are you getting enough milk to see her through the next day? If so, then your production is matching her needs and there will be no harm to your supply.

You say you have low supply, though, what makes you think that?
    Your question makes me wonder if I consider a letdown to be when I have sprays coming out. That is what I think of as a letdown. Maybe I'm wrong. I must be wrong because I only produce in one pumping session 2 ounces (on a good day) total. It takes me two pumping sessions to get a bottle for DD. She is 3 months old.

If I am wrong, then I don't have the basics of pumping down. I usually will start will short pumps to get letdown going then leave the pump setting on high. I will usually spray for a little bit then it will be consistent drips, followed by nothing then about 3 or 4 minutes later another spray will start, etc.

No I think you've got it right. A let down looks like spraying or at least a really fast flow.

It's normal for the pump not to completely empty your breast, but if you're getting several let downs it seems like you'd be getting more ounces. You could try eating oatmeal for breakfast and see if you get more ounces. Oatmeal will boost your supply, but really if there is enough milk left for you to manually express it sounds like maybe it is an issue with your pump. Or maybe you aren't pumping long enough? 15-20 minutes is typically long enough but every woman's body responds differently. Could you try pumping longer one or two times (I know it may be hard to get the time to pump longer consistently) and see if it helps?
    --Anonymous

No I think you've got it right. A let down looks like spraying or at least a really fast flow.

It's normal for the pump not to completely empty your breast, but if you're getting several let downs it seems like you'd be getting more ounces. You could try eating oatmeal for breakfast and see if you get more ounces. Oatmeal will boost your supply, but really if there is enough milk left for you to manually express it sounds like maybe it is an issue with your pump. Or maybe you aren't pumping long enough? 15-20 minutes is typically long enough but every woman's body responds differently. Could you try pumping longer one or two times (I know it may be hard to get the time to pump longer consistently) and see if it helps?
    I've been eating oatmeal like it is going out of style - morning and in the evening. I also take More Milk Plus and Domperidone to increase my supply but nothing has worked so far. I will try to pump longer during my lunch break and maybe one other pumping session while I'm at work.

Try that, Also you might want to check all the parts and make sure nothing is worn out or broken. Try putting the flanges against your hand to see if you are getting good suction.

If nothing else works, it may be the pump.

Oh man, you are doing everything! You are on the right track, keep up the effort and it will pay off. I'll try to get some other mamas to come chime in, in case I'm missing something.
    --Anonymous

Try that, Also you might want to check all the parts and make sure nothing is worn out or broken. Try putting the flanges against your hand to see if you are getting good suction.

If nothing else works, it may be the pump.

Oh man, you are doing everything! You are on the right track, keep up the effort and it will pay off. I'll try to get some other mamas to come chime in, in case I'm missing something.
    Thanks. I'll try that. If I find that I'm not getting a good suction maybe I'll rent the hospital grade pump to see if that makes a difference.

it might be worth a try
    --Anonymous