Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question

Default Question

So, my DS (3 months) is having watery green stool for weeks now with some blood (little flecks & strings in some of his stools). We've been to the ER (first bloody poop freaked us out), our pediatrician a couple of times, I've worked with a lactation consultant, and he saw a Pediatric GI last week. I'm on the Elimination Diet as recommended by the Pediatric GI because she thinks it's related to food sensitivity/allergy. I'm thinking a combo of overactive letdown and food sensitivity. I'm doing everything I can to try to solve both problems.

The Pediatric GI is very supportive of breastfeeding and told me to breastfeed him at least a year because it would end up helping with his allergies/sensitivities in the long-run. I had always planned to breastfeed at least a year, so this was good news. It's been really tough though because his GI problems are causing him to be gassy, colicky and sometimes refuse the breast -- his shorter feeds I think are serving to exacerbate the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and continuing to irritate his system. I want to try to figure out a solution to help him heal and start having more regular, normal bowel movements.

The Pediatric GI had recommended trying to start solids at 4 months. She said conventional wisdom about starting at 6 months is not appropriate because babies need more iron than they get from breast milk alone, even though breast milk should, of course, be the main source of nutrition for the first year. I never planned to start solids until 6 months and figured we'd do the BLS route. But with all of his GI problems, I'm wondering if introducing solids sooner (4 months as she recommended) may help him develop more formed stools. Of course, it could end up causing him even more distress if his body isn't ready for solids. So, I'm really not sure what to do. Any thoughts here? Is 4 months really too soon for solids? I never thought I'd go the rice cereal route but I'm considering it for next month if I thought it would help him get better. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Default Re: Question

you could try iron suppliment instead if they are worried about iron because of the blood loss...

the iron in ceral is so hard for their bodies to absorb.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreaohio View Post
    you could try iron suppliment instead if they are worried about iron because of the blood loss...

IMO, the GI is sort of on to something. There is a school of thought that solids should be introduced early, and research suggesting that early (i.e. before 6 months) introduction of solids is associated with a reduced risk of allergy. However, IMHO introducing solids is not the same as feeding solids. Introducing solids- giving a baby a taste of solid food here and there to get her used to new tastes and textures- is not the same as trying to get her to eat large meals of solid food and replacing breastmilk in her diet.

I wouldn't be afraid to introduce some solids, but I also wouldn't stress and start trying to spoon your LO full of cereal! Especially since I don't think that your baby's issues with bloody stools are likely to improve just because you've started solids. I've never heard that formed poop results in less intestinal irritation/bleeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Our pediatrician told us we could start DD on solids at 4mos if we wanted to because she had good head and neck control. She said in theory, if their neck muscles are strong enough on the outside, they should be strong enough internally so they can swallow more solid food. She wasn't pushing us to start solids early, but simply offered it as a suggestion since DD was refusing bottles and I had just started back at work.