Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: I gave up

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denver, Co.
    Posts
    1,164

    Default Re: I gave up

    I read on Dr. Newman's site that some moms have success in using the end of a vibrating toothbrush instead of u/s. Maybe this at home with the u/s at the doc? I've only had it once but thus helped me. I used a back massager. Lol

    Hang in there. What a nightmare.


    Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    Posts
    1,302

    Default Re: I gave up

    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: I gave up

    I had ultrasound therapy a week after giving birth and it worked wonderfully to clear a plugged duct which had become mastitis.

    I used to get a lot of plugged ducts too. What worked best for me was when i (by accident) realized that I could clear the duct by squeezing out a tiny dot of dried milk in the tip of the duct on my nipple (like a white-head pimple) and then i would just press the hard part of my breast (best in the bath) and it would all come shooting out. What a relief. When my ds was about 16 months old i stopped getting them which was even better.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    558

    Default Re: I gave up

    Thanks everyone for your support and input.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    I have a question- have you used ABX for them in the past? The two times this happened to me ABX worked like a charm pretty much right away. It was a life saver.

    From my understanding the soy lecithin won't clear a plug but will help a future one from developing.
    I've never used abx. I think my BIGGEST deal is NOT clearing the plug(s) when they are there but how to prevent them from recurring.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    I read on Dr. Newman's site that some moms have success in using the end of a vibrating toothbrush instead of u/s. Maybe this at home with the u/s at the doc? I've only had it once but thus helped me. I used a back massager. Lol

    Hang in there. What a nightmare.

    I've used it and it provided some relief. Like I responded above to the other mama, I badly NEED something to PREVENT these from recurring - that's my biggest deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wanderingmom View Post
    I had ultrasound therapy a week after giving birth and it worked wonderfully to clear a plugged duct which had become mastitis.

    I used to get a lot of plugged ducts too. What worked best for me was when i (by accident) realized that I could clear the duct by squeezing out a tiny dot of dried milk in the tip of the duct on my nipple (like a white-head pimple) and then i would just press the hard part of my breast (best in the bath) and it would all come shooting out. What a relief. When my ds was about 16 months old i stopped getting them which was even better.
    I am aware of that "treatment" but in my case, a lot of times I have plugs without seeing that white dot (plugged nipple pore IRRC). Once or twice I'd see one, but when I started working at it it got all sore while not going anywhere so I didn't want to keep touching it and make it worse . Like this time around there've been none.

    Oooh it's certainly MUCH better to stop getting them.

    So, to keep you posted on my progress, I'm gonna C&P my latest email to Dr. Alicia Dermer. Sorry for doing that, all my time and energy right now is still spent on dealing with the plugs.

    Hello, Dr. Dermer,

    Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

    I’ve had 4 ultrasound treatments since Thursday. Nothing was improving after the first treatment but after having a dampened electric heating pad on every 20 mins for a day (and I actually slept with it on for 2 2-hour stretches that night) the next morning my baby was able to suck something out and it (the rock-hard area on my right breast) was at least 60% better. It has kept getting better though not yet 100% resolved. But I’m kind of surprised and disappointed that supply on that side is still nowhere near before the plug – I thought this far into breastfeeding 2 days of nursing around the clock would be sufficient to make up for 2 days of blockage and my supply would be at least kind of back to normal.

    And even more frustrating is the fact that I have started having a problem with my left breast also. It feels stiffer than normal (and the therapist today did say it does feel like some kind of blockage is going on there too). Kind of in the same spot as the plug on my right. I have NEVER had problems in that spot on my left. Ultrasound treatment canNOT bring about plugs, doesn’t it? Then it MUST be me rocking baby to sleep every day. And probably the cold weather??? Or is it my pumping occasionally (I really don’t think I have an oversupply that predisposes me to plugs). I NEED to find out what I’m doing wrong in order to change it. If just five days ago I was thrilled (as most of the time before I started having recurrent plugs) to nurse my baby and hear her gulping milk down, these days I don’t feel any motivation. I am so NOT ready to give up nursing baby (I want to nurse her until she’s old enough to remember it, or at least 2 years) but I’m so very sad and discouraged. She doesn’t have as much interest in nursing either when my milk isn’t flowing like before. And “before” was just five days ago.

    And while I don’t want to starve my baby now that she isn’t getting as much milk as usual, I fear if I up her solid food intake she’ll have even less motivation to nurse. And I fear it could be the start of the end.

    So now we’re doing ultrasound on both sides. They’ve always done ultrasound on the left but it was pretty much just preventative. Now it’s treatment also.

    [...]

    Lan
    Again thank you for reading the long posts and for your support!
    Last edited by @llli*irismom; December 13th, 2010 at 01:08 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: I gave up

    I'm not a doctor but it sounds to me like you have an infection that you're just not kicking and that's why they keep coming back - particularly since you're getting it on the other side now. I'd call your OB and see if they have any ideas. Is it red or hot? I know when I got mine I thought no way can it be mastitis (a breast infection) because I'd heard how bad that pain was, how sick you get, etc and I didn't fee any of that. But the area where I had the big hard lump was a little red and a little hot. The OB took one look at me and said "breast infection" and she was right. A strong antibiotic got rid of it right away. I only had one after that a few weeks later took the antibiotics again and it went right away. I never got another one.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    558

    Default Re: I gave up

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet.mom View Post
    I'm not a doctor but it sounds to me like you have an infection that you're just not kicking and that's why they keep coming back - particularly since you're getting it on the other side now. I'd call your OB and see if they have any ideas. Is it red or hot? I know when I got mine I thought no way can it be mastitis (a breast infection) because I'd heard how bad that pain was, how sick you get, etc and I didn't fee any of that. But the area where I had the big hard lump was a little red and a little hot. The OB took one look at me and said "breast infection" and she was right. A strong antibiotic got rid of it right away. I only had one after that a few weeks later took the antibiotics again and it went right away. I never got another one.
    No I've NEVER got a lump (plug) that is red or hot. Even the HUGE one that barely just resolved (not 100%). So I'm really hoping it's not infection. But I AM seeing a doc and LC on Wed to see what she thinks.

    I try to avoid abx like plague because I fear thrush. If I had thrush we would have been through pretty much EVERY of the common concerns in bf.

    I am inclined to think it has to do with *a combination* of severe plugs that NEVER 100% resolved and left scar tissue AND me holding/rocking DD to sleep. I am tiny and she is not big but growing and getting heavier and heavier for me to hold.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •