Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at work while managing OS/OALD

Default Pumping at work while managing OS/OALD

DD is 4.5mos old and weighs about 13lbs. I have been back to work part time for about 3 weeks now. I am away from DD for about 11 hours two days a week. She has been refusing most bottles, but this week she finally started to accept them a little. I nurse her in the morning right before I leave, then pump three times at work, and nurse her again as soon as I pick her up from my parents. This week she has been drinking about three, two ounce bottles while I am at work. The problem is that I am pumping about 20oz during that same time . She obviously normally consumes more than 6oz when we are together nursing, but I doubt she is taking 20oz. We have been battling OS/OALD all along, and I thought we were doing better through block feedings. She acts comfortable while nursing, has stopped spitting up for the most part, and no longer has green poops. I am afraid though, that by pumping this much, I may eventually worsen the problem again. I am considering dropping one pumping session, or simply limiting the amount I pump at each session so I am collecting only 1 to 1.5oz/per hour while I am at work. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you handle it ? Also, when I nursed DS I had multiple problems with clogged ducts. I am constantly paranoid I will have problems with these again if I limit pumping.

Default Re: Pumping at work while managing OS/OALD

I had this problem too. I already had OS, DS2 wasn't taking very much from a bottle while I was at work and I was pumping a ton. On weekends he was having a hard time because of my body was used to producing so much. I just cut the amount I was pumping at each session gradually. As long as you cut down gradually, it should keep you from getting clogged ducts.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I tapered down my pumping sessions so I was pumping a little more than what baby would need at day care the next day.

I found that I was constantly tinkering with my pumping - number of times and amount of times - depending on my supply at that point in time and how much EBM baby needed.

You might also consider becoming a milk donor? See my siggie for link to HMBANA milk banks. Other moms choose to donate directly through milkshare or other avenues.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I had oversupply as well, but probably not as bad as yours from what you describe. My son was better @ taking a bottle by the time I went back to work @ 11 weeks, but he was still only taking three 4-oz bottles per day; at his peak, he was at three 5-oz bottles per day. During that time I was also pumping 18-24oz of milk per day in three sessions.

I will say that my supply dipped sharply when my periods returned, such that I would pump exactly what I needed those days. It dipped again when he started eating solids. It plummeted when I got pregnant. By then, I was having to supplement out of my stash.

I considered donating, and that is what I likely would have ended up doing had I not dried up when he was still so little. I would advise to maybe taper a little, but still stay at lease a bottle a day ahead. You can always donate when your freezer gets full
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos