Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: made it 1month but have a few ?

Exclamation made it 1month but have a few ?

My daughter turned 1 month today I am so happy she is my 4th and I never made it passed 2 weeks with my other 3 all though it has been a long month I can tell you that we r dealing with trush right now ans have been since 2 weeks old and treatment is not seem to be working her doc gave her an oral med called nystatin and me a topical med called the same is there something that works beter that I could ask him to let us try because I am really tierd of my nipples feeling so sensitive and on fire while nursing! Another question I was want to know is about the menstral cycle I thought while bf you were suppose to stop bleeding sooner after having baby if I am still bleeding dose that mean we are not nursing enough I want to make sure because I am affaid of if I have my period about the supply dipping I guess I am parinoid about my supply because it took me till week 3 to finally get it up! And last I have been taking fenugreek and mothers milk tea since week 2 how long should I continue to take it now that my supply is up? Thanks in adance ladies!

Default Re: made it 1month but have a few ?

I don't know if I can answer all your questions, but there is over-the-counter product called gentian violet that you can put both in your baby's mouth and on your nipples. You apply it one time, then let it wear off gradually. I think you might reapply after a few days if there is still a problem.

Some other mammas on here may have additional insight into other possible reasons for burning nipples.

How much bleeding are we talking about? A little spotting may be normal (I can't honestly remember how long I spotted after #1), but if you still have heavy bleeding you may want to call your doctor.

Congrats for making it this long!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

You're doing great!

There are a lot of non-prescription treatments for thrush, and many mothers find that nystatin is not enough all by itself. You might want to try infant probiotics for your baby (you can get them at your local health food store, and you can mix it with BM or just dab a little in your baby's mouth - you can even dust some on your nipples and let it dry, it really helped me), or gentian violet as the PP suggested. You can also ask your doctor for a prescription (for you) for Diflucan, which is a systemic yeast treatment that works better for some women than the topical ointments. Keep in mind it can take two weeks to really clear up thrush. For more information, check this link out. That link recommends a very thorough treatment plan - I have never done everything on that list, but I have done several and found that a combination of treatments really does the trick for me.

As far as the bleeding, I continued to bleed for five or six weeks after Joe was born. As long as you are not passing large clots, I believe everything is okay. But if you do have heavier bleeding, definitely call your doctor - heavy bleeding with large clots can be a sign of retained placenta.

Hang in there a little longer - breastfeeding doesn't become easy or natural for many women until a couple of months in. But once it does, it is so much easier than formula feeding!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Well as far as the bleesing goes at times I think its finaly stoped then next time I go to the bathroom that pad is full one day nothing the next its back not a havey flow at all! I am only able to get 2oz of bm on each side I thought maybe I was not producing more then that because I was still bleeding before I starting taking fenugreek and mothers milk teak I was only getting around .5-1 oz each side. So could the bleeding be the reason she eats every 2-3 hours durring the day and eats 2-3 times though out the night about every 3-4 hours!

Normal postpartum bleeding should not cause any reduction in supply. However, I understand that retained placenta DOES cause supply problems. Maybe you should call your doctor and tell him about the heavier bleeding you are experencing. I doubt it is a problem, but it's best to play it safe. Soaking through pads at four weeks does seem like an awful lot, might be good to double check!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

For a one month old, that is an awesome supply and eating schedule. That works out to 8-10 feeds per 24 hours if I am figuring correctly? Remember that your baby is more efficient than your pump.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Just4Britt View Post
    Well as far as the bleesing goes at times I think its finaly stoped then next time I go to the bathroom that pad is full one day nothing the next its back not a havey flow at all!
    It's normal for lochia to continue for 4-6 weeks after childbirth. Since your baby is still only 1 month old, I'd guess what you're seeing is normal lochia.

I am only able to get 2oz of bm on each side
    Producing about 1.5 oz per hour with both breasts is normal milk production. And remember that the baby empties the breast better than the pump, so getting 2 oz per side indicates production that is excellent.

So could the bleeding be the reason she eats every 2-3 hours durring the day and eats 2-3 times though out the night about every 3-4 hours!
    I would not blame the bleeding. The feeding frequency you describe is normal. Infant tummies are tiny and breastmilk digests quickly, and it's actually normal for babies to feed far more frequently than the pattern you describe. Many breastfed babies eat every 1-2 hours round the clock. If you're familiar with formula-fed babies, who tend to eat less often, this feeding frequency can come as a shock. But it's totally normal.

Smile Re: made it 1month but have a few ?

Thank you ladies