Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When does breastfeeding become less of a circus show?

Default When does breastfeeding become less of a circus show?

I mean that question in the best way possible.

I think I'm realizing that I might have developed a foreceful letdown or oversupply, especially overnight and in the mornings or if baby has taken a nap a little bit longer than normal. Sometimes he coughs and sputters early in the nursing session, so I've tried to do side-lying and laid-back nursing during these times to compensate. I sometimes try to do a few feedings in a row on the same side as I read that can help. I tend to need to put a cloth under both breasts to control the leakage at let-down, but I usually end up with breastmilk leaking on my clothes and on the baby, as when he starts coughing, I'm still leaking out.

I'm just wondering if these issues tend to work themselves out after time, or if this will be an on-going thing? Will I ever be able to not wear a bra and breast pads at night without leaking huge puddles in my bed? (I hate having to sleep in a bra.) I haven't had any outings yet with just me and the baby, because if my milk flows too fast and baby coughs and sputters, I'm not able to nurse discretely in public. I'd really like to be able to head out somewhere public and nurse easily and smoothly if need be, without my poor baby coughing and red-faced, not to mention my milk dripping everywhere while I try to sit him up and burp him.

Do things level out a little bit, or are these issues I'll just have to learn to compensate for?

Default Re: When does breastfeeding become less of a circus show?

how old is your baby?

Whoops, sorry for the omission. He's 3 weeks, 1 day. Born 11/16. I tried to make a signature line that says that, but I guess I must have done something wrong.
    First-time mom to a sweet baby boy, born 11/16/2010

naw your alright...

I found that 6-8 weeks things got much much beter with all my babies..

IT does get beter over time.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

When nursing becomes less of a circus show is different for every baby-mama pair. For some, it happens really quickly. For others it takes weeks or even months... And just when you think you're golden your baby reaches the distractable age and suddenly is pulling off the breast every time something wanders into her field of view, or turns into a toddler and is sticking her hands down your shirt in public!

But don't get discouraged. Most babies become much better able to handle forceful letdown as they get bigger and stronger, and oversupply tends to self-regulate as time goes on. Leaking also tends to diminish with time. I leaked like a firehose the first few months, but now that my baby is 7 months old I almost never leak, and when I do it's a drop or two, not a big squirting, shirt-soaking mess.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you SO much for posting this question! DS is almost 6 weeks and I wonder the same thing!!! I fear the public outing and time it just so that there is minimal chance to nurse while I am out. Also so sick of wearing a bra, even the comfiest sleep bra, 24 hours a day....and soaking through breast pads and my shirts at night during longer intervals between nursing.

Always good to know you're not alone!

It's all very gradual. I couldn't sleep without breast pad AND a towel for about 4months And I couldn't go out in the day time without breast pads until about 6months....and even then when I started to play with that....I would still randomly leak.
    OALD works itself out at your babies rate. So it's your child who decides when that is "workable" out in public. But it's up to you to practice. But some babies begin to cope with OALD within the first month. Two common practices of a child learning to cope with OALD are the "Pop off" that is where the child latches on for 2-3 sucks than comes off and watches your boob. And then latches back on. That is a child who is ANTICIPATING forceful let down and trying to avoid getting caught up in it.
    Also a "clicking" noise is often the sign of a child who is using their tongue to redirect forceful let down away from their throat thus making it manageable.
    Three weeks is still very very young. And honestly I wouldn't even try to plan an outing until somewhere after week 4. Just stay in your PJ's and feed the baby. You guys are still finding your groove. Getting the milk regulated is part of the process. Stay focused mama. This too shall pass.

Way too lazy for formula

yep all normal and wil work itself out with time. I recall waking up drenched many a night...and when nursing the other breast leaking, but it does get better all of us nursing toddlers promise you, or we wouldnt stil be doing it...lol.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

For me it happened at little later than most. Around 12 weeks my supply evened out and I stopped leaking at night. I feel your frustration but it does get better! Hang in there
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school