Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battling really low supply issues

Default Battling really low supply issues

Hi, my DS is just over 3 weeks, and I have really low supply issues. I'm trying almost everything I can think of to help increase it. I'm taking Fenugreek 4 pills 4 times a day, just started Blessed Thistle 3 pills 3 times a day, am about 24 hours into 90mg of Domperidone daily, am doing my best to pump after feedings (but don't always succeed at this), doing my best to get enough water/fluids, attempt to nurse on demand (he's a very lazy nurser). Things I haven't tried on a regular basis are oatmeal and brewers yeast. I also just ordered Shatavari, to give that a try. I am having to supplement with formula because he isn't gaining any weight on my supply alone. I really, really, really want bfing to work. I think I'm doing all a can practically to help increase my supply. I have a feeling that if he starts to wake up at feedings, it might help a little. Anyone have any tips, suggestions, etc? Also, I can't manage to wake up enough in the middle if the night to pump, anyone have tips on that? I'm all alone in parenting, so I guess take that into consideration. TIA

Default Re: Battling really low supply issues

What makes you think that you have a low supply? Is he not gaining weight? What happens when you don't supplement?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

He does not gain weight on my milk alone. He went a whole week with no weight gain. I did a weigh and feed on Monday, and he only took an ounce feeding from both breasts.

If you are working closely with an LC (preferably board certified), are weighing frequently and checking wet/poopy diapers and all signs lead to low supply, I would highly suggest getting your thyroid checked. You're still under the 6 week mark which is very helpful with all those hormones and getting it under control. Good luck momma!

I had my thyroid tested and it's normal.

I would spend as much time doing kangaroo care as possible. Offer the breast constantly. The trouble with supplementing with formula is that your body doesn't know he's eating it. So you aren't telling your breasts it needs to provide more. And definitely talk to another LC. I found one that takes my health insurance so it didn't cost me anything.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

How many dirty and wet diapers are you seeing per day? And what do they look like?

Is he falling asleep while nursing? Is that what you mean by "lazy nurser"? I was having the same problem. I do find that as my baby grows older, he falls asleep less often while nursing than he used to. Or he'll close his eyes and sleep but continues to nurse. Mine is at 6 weeks now. Yours is just 3 weeks...keep at it and I'm sure you'll see improvement. The first few weeks were really hard for me and I got discouraged but kept going and now things are going very well (with the exception of some fussiness which started yesterday).

The LC in the hospital gave me a few tricks to waking him such as running your finger along his ear when he stops sucking. Sometimes if you just take a few deep breaths, he should start sucking again. Also, as a last resort, if he won't wake up, I will take a very lightly damp rag and run it across his forehead lightly to wake him. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I was concerned about low supply issues and found a great improvement after taking the fenugreek supplement (I only take 3 per day), drinking Mama's milk tea and eating oatmeal. I'm also still taking a prenatal vitamin.

I was concerned about low supply issues and found a great improvement after taking the fenugreek supplement (I only take 3 per day), drinking Mama's milk tea and eating oatmeal. I'm also still taking a prenatal vitamin.
    I agree with that completely.. Although my supply was not ACTUALLY low I just thought it was! I thought this because I could only pump .5 ounces at a time for only 3 minutes and the milk would just stop coming out..After his feeding frenzy (he ate non stop for about 4 days) he went to the docs and gained over a lb since bring him home, and he was just 2 weeks old.. BUT when i started eating oatmeal, fenugreek, and drinking the tea (which can be bought at an organic foods mart) I started to see an increase in what I was able to pump.

That being said.. I know a women that exclusively breastfeed her baby and it took him a whole month to gain his birth weight back! Despite what the doctors told her she DID NOT and refused to supplement..

How many wet and poppy diapers is your baby having a day? Is he loosing weight? and have you had him checked for jaundice? Babies can be really sleepy due to jaundice, and if that is the case try waking him every hour to eat even if its only for 10 minutes..

am doing my best to pump after feedings (but don't always succeed at this)
    Your baby is MUCH more efficient at getting the milk out then any pump. Also what kind of pump are you using?

. I did a weigh and feed on Monday, and he only took an ounce feeding from both breasts

How long do you let him nurse on one boob? It is really important to let him finish one breast before switching so he get the hind milk as well, that has all the fat in it he needs. At 3 weeks your babies stomach is about the size of a fist so an once is plenty to feed him.

How often is he waking up to be fed? Are you letting him sleep through the night without eating? If so for how long? How long does he nurse for?

It is VERY RARE that you actually have a low supply.. Your breast produce milk constinally, its supply and demand so for every time you supplement that tells your body to not produce that milk..

When my son was jaundice he didn't stay awake very long, or wake up often to eat. I would wake him up by changing his diaper. He hated the cold wipes so he's cry as soon as I wiped his penis with it. Once he was awake I'd nurse him and if he fell asleep I'd use another cold wipe and put it on his face and feet and he would wake up. My LC told me to pull on his arm to see if he was ACTUALLY asleep if he resists hes awake if it just flops hes asleep..

Hi, I have a 3 week old and I had the same problem the first week where my milk supply was low. I have been going to a lactation consultant and she has help not only with the latching and helping me breast feed but she has recommended some teas to drink that actually helped me, for example she recommended I take the Mother's Milk Tea and also make some homemade Anise Tea. I have noticed an increase amount of milk supply. Another thing you should really try is ALWAYS trying to pump or breast feed that will definately increase your milk supply, that is one thing you don't want to stop. I did that at least 12-16 times a day and it has seem to help. Now I am able to breast feed and pump with no problem and have stocked up on breast milk. Hope this helps you as it helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scsr4 View Post
    Hi, I have a 3 week old and I had the same problem the first week where my milk supply was low. I have been going to a lactation consultant and she has help not only with the latching and helping me breast feed but she has recommended some teas to drink that actually helped me, for example she recommended I take the Mother's Milk Tea and also make some homemade Anise Tea. I have noticed an increase amount of milk supply. Another thing you should really try is ALWAYS trying to pump or breast feed that will definately increase your milk supply, that is one thing you don't want to stop. I did that at least 12-16 times a day and it has seem to help. Now I am able to breast feed and pump with no problem and have stocked up on breast milk. Hope this helps you as it helped me.
    Mama, what an encouraging thing to say!
    Oatmeal is also good for increasing milk, and it's good for keeping warm. In hot weather I eat it like meusli, uncooked but soaked in soymilk.

OP, as a PP mentioned it might be a milk transfer problem because LO has a shallow latch. As their mouths grow, their latch gets better. Meanwhile, pumping 1/2oz is good pumping output esp for a full-time nursing mother.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    Very soon your milk will start ROLLING in, as LO goes on a growth spurt and signals your body to make more and more milk. Then you'll have oversupply and OALD
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?