Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 mths, co-sleeping, and teeth...oh my!

Default 9 mths, co-sleeping, and teeth...oh my!

Hey all, my ds and I have made it 9 mths exclusively bf Whoo Hoo!! We also co-sleep...which is where my concerns are right now. He basically stays latched on almost all night long. I know that a lot of this is comfort nursing, but it's gotten to the point recently where neither of us are sleeping longer than an hour at a time at night. And now that he has 2 (and growing 4 more) teeth...my nipples are HURTING! Regular nursing is fine, we have a great latch, but the comfort nursing at night he starts using his teeth occasionally. Does anyone have suggestions? Has anyone made it past stages like this while cosleeping? Or is my little guy just a little too attached at night? Trying to decide whether to transition to a crib (which I know will be really hard...but we both need some sleep at this point!!!)

Thanks for any ideas...support... commiseration...

Default Re: 9 mths, co-sleeping, and teeth...oh my!

We went through that and came out the other side. There is a Sleep or Lack of It forum if you scroll down a bit further from the main forum page, maybe you'll find information in there to help you.

I just stuck it out when we were at that phase. You could also try to have your DH take every other waking.

Have you tried Tylenol or Motrin to get past the first few hours of the night?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Adding baby ibuprofen seems to help a bit with sleeping and comfort nursing for us.

However, recently DS has been sooooo clingy and attached to me all night. I think it's a combination of separation anxiety and teething, where he finds it reassuring to be attached to mama all night long. And I just cannot deal

So, I've been using a pacifier. DS will not do anything but chew on a pacifier when he's awake, and has always refused them, but I've tried everything to get him off of me at night, I work and have to get some sleep. So, I wait until he's not sucking, pop him off the breast, and quickly pop in the pacifier. Usually this works, and he'll happily continue sucking in his sleep for who knows how long, while I get some sleep. He has to be completely asleep for it to work, though, gauge it by his breathing pattern.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I'm going through this as well. My baby is 6 months old and loves to comfort nurse. When I initally put her to sleep she sleeps in her crib for 2-3 hours before she wakes up. After the first time she wakes up, I bring her in bed with me where it seems all she wants to do is comfort nurse. If I unlatch her she'll wake up 1-2 hours later whining and making all kind of noises (wanting to nurse again), nothing else will please her. I was wondering what I can do to change these ways myself.

I'm off the last 2 weeks of December and was wondering if I should wean her off the night nursing while I'm home and don't have to get up for work or should I let her night nurse as much as she does until i'm done with breastfeeding?

I need sleep as well!

I wouldn't personally nightwean a 6 month old.

Have you seen the book "No Cry Sleep Solution" arog421? That has some good tips on getting infants to sleep in longer stretches. I never really tried to do them myself, but it has worked for other moms.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I agree, this is probably just a phase. Joe has had some times of all-night-nursing, almost always associated with teething. It can be rough! But then it generally will improve for a bit, and we'll go back to nursing just a couple times a night. Trying to change Joe's night behaviors has gotten me nowhere - they just are what they are! - but going to bed earlier, with Joe, and sleeping as long as he will let me in the morning, and alternating with my husband waking up with Joe if he gets up early, and taking naps when I can get them, those things help ME survive the rough teething times.

I have a job that requires me to be awake and have coherent thoughts, so I totally get the fatigue. But usually these rough stages just last a couple weeks, and then you're on to the next thing. If your baby is anything like mine, you're not going to be able to just easily "transition" him to the crib and get more sleep that way! No way. (Well, if you figure that out, let me know!)

The truth is, there are no "easy" solutions for sleep. Believe me, I wish there were! But the good news is that things generally keep changing over time, so this too shall pass.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.