Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby crying ALL the time and wanting to nurse all the time

Default Baby crying ALL the time and wanting to nurse all the time

Hi, I have a one week old son who I am trying to breastfeed. I have been since day one, and thought things were going well until we got home from the hospital. He will feed for 5-10 minutes and then fall asleep in my arms, still attached to the breast. I will do things to wake him and he will start sucking a few sucks, but then stops...this will continue until the nipple/breast eventually falls out of his mouth and he is full on sleeping.

The problem then comes that if I try to move him to his bassinet/rocket/swing that he will wake up screaming, and the only thing that will calm him is to nurse more. But it seems like he isn't nursing, more that he is using me as a pacifier, but he won't even take a pacifier.

I am at a loss....does anyone have some advice? I feel like I need to stay awake either feeding him or letting him sleep on my lap attached to my breast. I am starting to get really frustrated...

Also, now we have noticed that if the baby is not nursing or sleeping he is only crying We have tried a ton of things to comfort him, but he just cries and does not stop until I attach him back to the breast and let him nurse for a few minutes and then fall asleep. It seems abnormal that he isn't awake, and not crying for at least a little while during the day. Do you think he is colicky?

Default Re: Baby crying ALL the time and wanting to nurse all the time

Congratulations on the new baby! What you describe sounds very frustrating, but well within the realm of normal newborn behavior. Some questions for you:
    1. How many wet and poopy diapers does your baby produce in a 24-hour period? (The answer to this question will tell us if he is getting enough to eat.)
    2. Is he jaundiced at all? (Jaundice can make babies sleepy.)
    3. How many times is your baby nursing in a 24-hour period?

Here are some strategies for waking sleepy babies:
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-ba...m#SleepyBabies
    http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/h...epy_baby.shtml
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi and welcome! Congrats on your new little one! Honestly mama, all of what you describe sounds perfectly normal to me for a 1 week old. My advise to you... make yourself a nice comfy spot on your couch in front of the TV with the remote control, a huge glass of water, some snacks, your cell phone, and plant you and the baby there all.day.long. And have your husband or mother or some helper bring you food and refresh your water glass all day long. For me, I just keep it simple and if nursing the baby and keeping him/her attached to the boob all day long is what keeps baby happy, that's what I do. It's perfectly normal for a baby to feel happiest/safest when being held by mama and attached to the boob. I know it seems hard right now, but the constant neediness for you will soon pass and you will be able to lay baby down for a nap soon enough. If you really feel like you need to get up and move around, maybe try wearing your baby in a ringsling or some other baby carrier? You can also nurse while on the go with your baby in a sling too.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Thanks for your responses.

He is having about 2-4 poopy diapers a day and 6 wet diapers (and usually the poopy ones are wet too).

I am basically sitting on the coach all day long, but I get so uncomfortable. I also ended up having to get an emergency C-section (after 32 hours of labor) and it is making it really difficult to rest and recuperate. I have tried setting up my couch with tons of pillows, but after a few hours of sitting my butt and back start aching and I am really uncomfortable. I have a glider, but I really cannot imagine sitting in it more than an hour or 2.

I am starting to not worry about the feeding as much, because since he is having so many diapers I think he is getting enough. BUT I am getting worried about the constant crying. If he isn't eating or sleeping than he is crying hysterically. It really seems like he is in pain and something is seriously wrong...I am getting super frustrated and find myself breaking down in tears all the time.

He is having about 2-4 poopy diapers a day and 6 wet diapers (and usually the poopy ones are wet too).
    Great! As long as you are seeing normal diaper output, the basics- that is, getting the baby fed- are covered. Sometimes babies who nurse all. day. long. are babies who are having trouble getting enough to eat, so whatever your problems are, at least you don't have to worry that your baby is starving.

Just 1 more question- what color are his poops? Blackish/brown, greenish, or yellow?

I am basically sitting on the coach all day long, but I get so uncomfortable. I also ended up having to get an emergency C-section (after 32 hours of labor) and it is making it really difficult to rest and recuperate.
    You must be so uncomfortable! Are you able to nurse lying down?

BUT I am getting worried about the constant crying. If he isn't eating or sleeping than he is crying hysterically. It really seems like he is in pain and something is seriously wrong...
    It's possible that what your baby wants is not so much to be fed as to be held. Do you have help at home right now? If so, I'd encourage you to get that person to try wearing the baby in a sling (you could do it too, but I don't know how advisable that is while you're recovering from a c-section). Wrap-style carriers (like the Moby) are good for newborns, since they hold the baby upright and close, and support the head and neck.

Another thing you might want to try is getting to the baby early. Newborns often give hunger cues like rooting or sucking on their fists before escalating to full-blown screams. If you get the baby onto the breast when he's in that hungry phase, but not yet desperate to eat, you might cut out a lot of the screaming.

A third thing to try would be to burp the baby well and change his diaper in between breasts. That

Now, if getting to the baby early, wearing him, and keeping him alert at the breast (see the links in my first post on your thread) don't help, then I would go and see the doctor. If you perceive that the baby seems to be in pain, it's possible that he is- it could be an ear infection, it could be acid reflux...

I am getting super frustrated and find myself breaking down in tears all the time.
    What you're going through is super frustrating. And it's likely harder for you because you had a c-section- nursing a newborn is challenging enough without the pain of an incision and the exhaustion and emotional letdown that comes from processing a difficult birth.

Don't be afraid to reach out for help, Mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

DS1 started doing this at a few weeks old. He turned out to have silent reflux. If he wasn't nursing- he was screaming... even if we were holding him. I guess as long as he was sucking the acid wasn't shooting up his throat and he wasn't a paci baby.

Good luck and huge hugs.
    Jaxon (07/13/08) weaned at 27 months
    Alexa and Braxton (11/18/10). My NICU miracles.

http://swallomlife.blogspot.com

"This above all: to thine own self be true" -Hamlet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

Just 1 more question- what color are his poops? Blackish/brown, greenish, or yellow?

:Are you able to nurse lying down?

It's possible that what your baby wants is not so much to be fed as to be held. Do you have help at home right now? If so, I'd encourage you to get that person to try wearing the baby in a sling (you could do it too, but I don't know how advisable that is while you're recovering from a c-section). Wrap-style carriers (like the Moby) are good for newborns, since they hold the baby upright and close, and support the head and neck.

Another thing you might want to try is getting to the baby early. Newborns often give hunger cues like rooting or sucking on their fists before escalating to full-blown screams. If you get the baby onto the breast when he's in that hungry phase, but not yet desperate to eat, you might cut out a lot of the screaming.
    Hi poops are a brownish yellow color. Yesterday he had 5 poopy diapers and several wet diapers. So, I think he is getting enough food.

My husband tried wearing him in the Moby wrap yesterday and he would not stop crying at all.

I am paying attention to his hunger cues, BUT if he isn't at my breast or sleeping (because he falls asleep after nursing), he is screaming and crying. The ONLY way to console him is to put him back on the breast. He will eat for 5-8 minutes and then fall back asleep. Then when he wakes up (and I have to keep him right next to my breast/body after he falls asleep or he wakes up instantly and starts crying again) he is crying again....

Also- I am thinking maybe it is gas....I try to burp him well, and he usually lets out little burps here and there but maybe he is just in a lot of pain from gas? This is so frustrating!! I am hoping that the pediatrician will have some suggestions tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*a80r View Post
    Thanks for your responses.

I am basically sitting on the coach all day long, but I get so uncomfortable. I also ended up having to get an emergency C-section (after 32 hours of labor) and it is making it really difficult to rest and recuperate. I have tried setting up my couch with tons of pillows, but after a few hours of sitting my butt and back start aching and I am really uncomfortable. I have a glider, but I really cannot imagine sitting in it more than an hour or 2.

I am starting to not worry about the feeding as much, because since he is having so many diapers I think he is getting enough. BUT I am getting worried about the constant crying. If he isn't eating or sleeping than he is crying hysterically. It really seems like he is in pain and something is seriously wrong...I am getting super frustrated and find myself breaking down in tears all the time.
    All of this is normal. Your LO is used to being with you 24/7 You are all he knows and recognizes in this huge new strange world. Even if you held and fed your child for 12 hours a day that is still a 50% reduction in what he is used to. So don't fight this and don't think it means that something is wrong. The ONLY place a LOT one week olds will feel safe and secure enough to sleep is in their mothers arms.

As far as the c-section I highly recommend a Boppy or Breastfriend. Do you have one? If not see about getting one. MOST new breastfeeding mothers spend the first 6-8weeks in their PJ's on the couch nursing. Seriously. So try to imagine siting SOMEWHERE in your house for more than 2hours. Like the PP said find a place you CAN sit comfortably all day and wake up and expect to. It will make these first weeks much much easier if you aren't thinking about all the things you AREN'T doing. Let getting to know your baby and letting the two of you finding your nursing groove be your job. What you wake up to do. Often newborns DO act frantic if taken from the breast. Because THEIR job is to get you to MAKE MILK. So just wrap your mind around the fact that although this is overwhelming, it IS normal and you aren't going through it alone. We are all here. And we have all been where you are.
    And it's also completely normal to be all weepy and feel sad and isolated and like you don't know what you are doing. We all get the baby blues. So in a few weeks you realized you didn't cry today. And then it will be that you didn't cry this week. And then you will almost forget that you spent weeks crying everyday. But because of all the hormones it IS normal. So by all means take your concerns to your Pedi at your two week check up. But in the mean time, Hold the baby. Let the baby sleep in your arms, and on you. And YOU should try carrying the baby around in the moby. Because you will be able to move and the baby will smell YOU. You carrying the baby in your Moby will most closely mimic the baby in your womb. Being carried around by someone OTHER than you at this point was likely a little scary. So....just give it time and do what you can. Which is feed the baby. It is by and far the most important job of the early weeks!

Way too lazy for formula

Hi mama, I agree with DJ's Mom and Buff as well as other PP's, what you describe is normal newborn behaviour. It was overwhelming for me to learn how needy my newborn was, which mixed with my postpartum hormones gave me the baby blues and PPD. Things do lift and get better.

However, another PP pointed to silent reflux and you mentioned that LO seems to be in pain. Is he a 'happy spitter'? Or does he look like he's hurting between feedings? Babies nurse all the time for comfort, to ramp up milk production, and some babies nurse to de-acidify their stomach contents. Call your pedi and tell her what is going on. If it's reflux, it's treated with a simple antacid just like us adults take. Reflux is temporary and baby grows out of it as her esophaegus develops.

A gf of mine said her newborn rejected the Moby wrap but liked the ring sling keep experimenting! Right on to let dad step in and do some fathering while you had a break.

Just as DJ's Mom said, we've all had marathon bfing sessions. My daughter would bf with breaks of 8-14 minutes and then cue again. I thought it was abnormal so I documented it, showed it to the pedi, and he said it's normal. I'll tell you what wasn't normal--my sore tush, I thought I was going to get bed sores from bfing!

It will all be over soon, the newborn period lasts just one month!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?