Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still spits up

Default Still spits up

Is it normal that Gavin still spits up? He's 11 months (today! ) Not a lot, not vomit. Just milk that comes up withing a couple of minutes of nursing or finishing a bottle at daycare.

I don't remember when Naomi stopped.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Default Re: Still spits up

There's a lot of debate about the point at which spit up becomes not "normal." We were originally told 6 months, then 9 months, then 12 months, then 18 months and by the time DS reached 2 and was still doing it, there was unequivocal consensus that it was not normal.

Does it bother him? Does he cough during or after episodes? Does he have any other health or quality of life concerns? If not, then there probably isn't cause for concern.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Nope. No coughing or anything it just comes up and out. Usually in the same state it went in (not like the curdled infant spit up that sometimes happens).

At around 6 months he was "diagnosed" with laryngomalacia and I read that increased spit up was a symptom of that but I was told he'd outgrow it and I don't remember anything about prolonged spit up.

He's constantly sick. Catches colds one after another but overall everything is fine health wise. No known allergies
    Amanda

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

I'd check in with the pedi about it. The thing with spitting up and laryngomalacia, if it's still an issue, is that it is possible for micro-aspirations to occur and that can cause the respiratory system to have difficulty fending off infections.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lorenzomama View Post
    I'd check in with the pedi about it. The thing with spitting up and laryngomalacia, if it's still an issue, is that it is possible for micro-aspirations to occur and that can cause the respiratory system to have difficulty fending off infections.
    Good to know. I didn't think to bring it up at his last appointment. It was only when the daycare mentioned that he's the only one of the three his age that still spits up that it even dawned on me that it might be an issue. Problem is that his ped is soo laissez faire about stuff. I have to drag info out of him. It's frustrating.

ETA: oh and the reason I put diagnosed in quotes was because he didn't actually have a camera down his throat to see. The Dr listened to his breathing and said "sounds like this" and it fit his symptoms to a T.
    Last edited by @llli*babylove; December 13th, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
    Amanda

Mine spits up too. Well, vomits. It's not normal, but, well we just live with it at this point.

I don't have anything really helpful to add except that you are in company dealing with it.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Mine spits up too. Well, vomits. It's not normal, but, well we just live with it at this point.

I don't have anything really helpful to add except that you are in company dealing with it.
    Amanda

Welcome to the puker club:wave Joey will occasionally spit up STILL at 2.5

Although on days like today...when I came around the corner and saw that she had eaten 10 prevacid solutabs...I don't imagine we'll see any spit up And FYI...according to Poison Control...300mg of prevacid in a toddler is ok
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    Welcome to the puker club:wave Joey will occasionally spit up STILL at 2.5

Although on days like today...when I came around the corner and saw that she had eaten 10 prevacid solutabs...I don't imagine we'll see any spit up And FYI...according to Poison Control...300mg of prevacid in a toddler is ok
    How did she get them out of the foil packs?

Oh and they taste like sweet tarts. Very candy-like IMO.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    How did she get them out of the foil packs?

Oh and they taste like sweet tarts. Very candy-like IMO.
    She just pushed them through
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!