Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: growth spurt???? Help!

Unhappy growth spurt???? Help!

Hi,
    I am a first time mom. At aroung 6 weeks i realized my baby had a growth spurt she wasn't feeding at all and ate night and day. At 7 weeks it all stopped and she started sleeping at 10 pm to wake up at 1 am and then again at 5 am to feed. Shw would go back to sleep to wake up at 9. Suddenly at 11 weeks she switched. She goes to bed at 8 wakes up at 11 or 12 pm to feed and then....The marathon begins...She wakes up every hour and a half to feed. She is 12 and a half weeks now and I am exhausted...For almost two weeks i barely have any sleep.She is in a good mood but drinks so frequently at night! I thought that they should be eating less at around this age? And is it normal that the growth spurt is lasting that long?

I need to talk to somebody and get some BF mama hugs. My husband works evening shifts and its getting so tough for me.

Thank you

Default Re: growth spurt???? Help!

This sounds very normal for a BF'd baby. Many babies cluster feed in the evenings and at night. At this age, I think you can trust that your baby needs to breastfeed - I'm sure she's growing and of course the comfort is nice too.

It can be exhausting, especially in the early days, when babies feed for a long time and need help latching on! All I can recommend is that you really try to feed her as much as possible during the day, and then try to "top her off" by "dream feeding" right before you go to sleep. That might buy you a few hours of sleep, at least.

Other than that, all I can recommend are coping mechanisms - go to bed with your baby, try cosleeping, or at least put the crib or bassinet right next to your bed, learn to nurse lying down so that you can nurse and snooze at the same time, etc. There are things you can do to help make BF'ing at night easier, so that you are getting more rest, and feel less exhausted, even if your baby continues to wake up frequently.

The idea that babies wake up less as they get older ... well, it's true for some babies, but it was not true for mine! That idea caused me a bunch of grief, because it really set me up for unrealistic expectations. After all, you can only work with the baby you have, you know? Once I realized that my baby was just a light sleeper, I was able to make peace with it (well, I DO whine about it here now and then, of course! ). I also learned to just surrender and GO TO BED EARLY, with my baby! And take naps!

Don't forget, just as soon as you get used to a new phase, it will change! This too shall pass. You are doing all the right things!
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; December 8th, 2010 at 05:30 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

thank you for your respond. It really gave me the boost i needed to get through the night today. And since she has been feeding so much i am constantly hungry. Even after a meal i am ravenous....i am constantly snacking here and there. I keep my sanity by telling myself that it is just a phase it will get better. I will let you know how tonight goes. Thanks again Joe's mom.

Great advice from Joes.mom. Co-sleeping saved my sanity, especially during growth spurts! Here are some tips on safe co-sleeping: http://babyparenting.about.com/od/sl.../a/cosleep.htm

You might want to get hold of Elizabeth Pantley's book The No-Cry Sleep Solution. It's very gentle, and very breastfeeding-friendly. She doesn't recommend trying to make any alterations in your baby's sleep pattern until she/he is about 4 months old, so now is a great time to read up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks lilmommal...I will try to get the book. I am hoping that she will go back to being a good sleeper like she was until two weeks ago. I can't even say that she is a bad sleeper cause when she wakes up to feed, she is not actually awake...she cries, sucks her hands, twists her body and then latches on, feeds and sleeps. And if i have to change her diaper and feed her and she is wide awake after the feeding. I put her down in her bassinet beside my bed and she goes to sleep by herself sucking her little chubby hands. At about 6 AM, when my body refuses to get up i just pick her up and nurse her in bed lying down instead of going to the living room...She is a very gassy baby who needs to be burped several times. So If i don't get up and sit upright and burp her she will suffer quite a bit later...So even though i enjoy the lying down breasfeeding I still have to get up and burp her....Thanks for yoru advice I will take a look at the book.