Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush/Milk Blisters: What worked?

Default Thrush/Milk Blisters: What worked?

I'm really struggling here with what I think to be thrush. (Baby is 4 1/2 months) I struggled terribly with what I thought was just oversupply. During those months, my breasts always seemed to be engorged and not emptying well. About 3 weeks ago I found 3 milk blisters while I was in the shower. My baby has been fussy while eating and needing to eat more often as the breast isn't fully emptying. I have tried everything that I've read about online. Nothing has worked. I started to suspect thrush as I started to have pains in my breast, a slight skin infection on the top of my breast, baby has LOTS of gas...I started taking Grapefruit Seed Extract and a Probiotic. The pains have gone away and the skin infection is clearing, but the milk blisters are still there, baby is still fussy and VERY gassy....maybe even more gassy. She has always been a happy, good sleeping, easy going baby.

So my question is...does this sound like thrush? I've read of various different treatments. What worked for you? If you have ever had stubborn milk blisters, what finally worked for you??? I'm getting desperate about the milk blisters. This is my 4th child and I feel like I can't keep spending this much time agonizing over breastfeeding issues. This is getting really hard to deal with!!! I really don't want to quit, but I'm not sure what to do if milk just keeps getting stuck and can't get out. I feel like I will be forced to quit.

ANY advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Default Re: Thrush/Milk Blisters: What worked?

my dr. prescribed 2 rounds of diflucan (Canesten is the OTC form) for my bout with thrush. i took one pill and then took a 2nd pill 3 days later....cleared the thrush right up. he advised that i keep bfing in order to pass the medication to my dd through the bm. hope this helps.

What worked for stubborn milk blisters????? Anyone???

THANKS!

Wish I knew about the milk blisters, that sounds frustrating. We're in the same boat trying to treat thrush for the first time, seems like we're making no progress! Hope someone sees this and can give you some help re: the blisters.
    mom to Thomas Brocke - born May 5, 2010
    7 lbs 10 oz, 21 inches long
    8 lbs 3 oz at two weeks
    12 pounds, 24 1/2 inches at 2 months
    15 pounds at 4 months, 26 3/4 inches - he's gonna be a tall one!
    17 pounds at 6 months

Took us almost 10 weeks, but we successfully weaned from the nipple shield. Boobie au naturale!
    and at home and like a machine at work!

Thrush
    Gentian violet, gse for me orally and topically, cleaning everything with medela quick steam bags, diflucan for me and babe, new towels for whole house everyday, new deodorant for me and cutting back in sugar.

Exhausting. Dr. Jack Newmans site has info on gse and gv. I can't get the links now but will if you pm me.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Here is what kellymom says about the blisters. I had those too. Ugh

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I had milk blisters, too and they were very painful. I tried warm compresses and epsom salt but nothing seemed to help much. Nursing on the breast with the blisters was too painful so I only pumped on that side for a few days to give the nipple a break. The milk blister eventually cleared up on its own but it took 4-5 weeks.

Thanks for the info. ladies! Glad to know these could heal up on their own...I'm just trying to keep the milk flowing as much as possible, but I know there's a lot stuck in there as I'm never really empty because of these blisters. I looked at my nipple in the shower and when it is immersed in water, there are many teeny tiny white dots....you can almost not see them and they disappear within a minute after coming out of the water...tiny milk blisters????? If so I've got a ton. Does this sound like thrush?? I'm at a loss here.

Thanks a ton...