Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is something wrong???

Default is something wrong???

My nine week old is averaging 5-7 feedings a day this past week. She has very wet diapers (at every feeding) and healthy poop. Sometimes she will go 5 hours without wanting to eat. Sometimes a feeding will only be 5 minutes and she is done... refuses to eat any more. She has also been pretty sleepy the past couple of days. Should I be concerned or is this normal behavior???????

Default Re: is something wrong???

It sounds normal to me. As long as she's got plenty of wet and dirty diapers, it's probably just a matter of her getting more efficient at nursing. It gets a lot faster as they get older and more adept at it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    It sounds normal to me. As long as she's got plenty of wet and dirty diapers, it's probably just a matter of her getting more efficient at nursing. It gets a lot faster as they get older and more adept at it.
    Totally normal. Some days I feel like I've neglected my son and haven't fed him at all. But then I try to lift up his chunky butt and realize he's not suffering.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

As long as diaper output and weight gain remains normal, what you're seeing is in the realm of normal. It's really unusual for a 9 week old to be able to get enough from so few feedings per day- but not unheard of. If you're at all concerned, I'd try to offer more frequently during the day, and see if anything changes.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i do offer her more often during day. For example today at 1 she ate for only 5 minutes, so at 2 i offered again, she ate for less than five, got mad and cried as she pulled away and spit it all up. She's been doing that alot, spitting up.
    i do have fast let down on Lt breast and working with lactation consultant... so i know its Not that.
    thats pretty crazy though that she would be SO efficient!