Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co-sleepers...do you switch breasts throughout

Default Co-sleepers...do you switch breasts throughout

the night? My son wakes up NUMEROUS times during the night and I switch him each time....which means me picking him up and shifting him over to the other side. Is this really necessary??

Default Re: Co-sleepers...do you switch breasts throughout

I did switch and like you for a long time I was moving him from side to side, then I started giving him the top breast by turning more on my stomach (not all the way f course) an nursing the top breast without switching...does that make sense?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Hi Ashleymommy. I switch breasts but I don't switch my baby from side to side. Pillows can help you get comfortable and support your back so that you don't have to switch sides. It may take a few days for you and you LO to get used to it but definitely makes it easier to nurse at night. And it could also help you get that rest that you need!! Good luck!

Yes I do or I end up engorged on one side. Sometimes I try to roll over a bit so dd can eat off the other side without me switching totally, but it doesn't always work. I use a snoogle pillow behind me to support my back.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I can nurse from either breast while laying on my right side
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

I switch from top to bottom breast, but always keep DS on the same side of me, no rolling over. I think it's easier to nurse from the top breast, personally.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I roll her over. She doesn't seem to mind. I couldn't master the top/bottom breast lean.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    I couldn't master the top/bottom breast lean.
    Me neither. Joe is huge now, so I usually get up a little, scooch him over, and then lay down on his other side, if that makes sense. So he alternates being between me and DH and being between me and the bed rail.

He's so funny - he's learned to just reach out and touch my breast when he wants milk, he doesn't even cry, just taps me on the boob.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I still roll her over at 16 months. It's just easier for me and she's fine with it. I can't not let her nurse from both throughout the night or I will get hard lumps by the morning.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I climb over. My babies all didn't tolerate me moving them. I do that until they are bigger, and then I do the side lean. But that can have a drawback. If your latch isn't good, you can get a milk blister. Guess how I know that. It's a toss up between staying comfortable while I sleep (sleeping through nursings) or having a milk blister than just won't quit.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!