Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pumping at a conference?

Default pumping at a conference?

Anyone gone to a conference and had to pump? I'm trying to figure out where I can go, and my only options seem to be the ladies room or my car. I can't skip the lunchtime session because I'll be in pain by the end of the day.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

Default Re: pumping at a conference?

Is the conference being held at a hotel or a convention center? I would talk to them directly and find out if they have an area you can use. Your car may be more comfortable.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I've had all-day mediation sessions and other events where I've had to come up with a pumping solution on the fly. Worst case scenario, I bring a hand pump and use the ladies' room. Keep in mind that you may not have access to electrical outlets in the ladies' room. Otherwise, your car might be more comfortable, if you can get away for that long. It's worth asking the conference site if there's another option, too.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Under similar circumstances, I have pumped in my car, usually in a dark-ish parking lot, many times. It's really not so bad. I use a nursing cover to cover up the pumping parts, and I just read my book and listen to music (I idle my car so that I can use the car's A/C outlet rather than the pump batteries - not the greatest thing for the environment, but you do what you gotta do, it's not something I do often, just when I need to). Honestly, for me this is easier than asking about an area for pumping. No one needs to know what I'm up to.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manatee View Post
    I've had all-day mediation sessions and other events where I've had to come up with a pumping solution on the fly. Worst case scenario, I bring a hand pump and use the ladies' room. Keep in mind that you may not have access to electrical outlets in the ladies' room. Otherwise, your car might be more comfortable, if you can get away for that long. It's worth asking the conference site if there's another option, too.
    for me the first one was at a big hotel and I had been back at work only 2 weeks i sat in the sitting area off the ladies room and several other women were in there on laptops some were rude and put off others were accomadating, remember the cooler bag and a battery pack and wear comfortable shoes b/c you will be running to get a spot in the bathroom at every break IME.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I had a late flight once, couldn't get a late check-out, and I hate pumping in airports, so I asked the front desk ahead of time if there was any place I could use. This hotel had a spa, and they had me call up there. The lady FELL ALL OVER HERSELF accommodating me - brought me a glass of water w/ a slice of orange, pillows for my back, the works. I used one of their massage rooms and it worked out perfectly. Best pumping output I had the whole trip
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I've been to conferences that actually had a mother's room (AVMA conference) where electric outlets, comfortable chairs and some privacy were available. I've been to others where none of that existed, and I just found an unused room and plugged my pump in there
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i just got finished with a two day conference and used my car the whole time. I work with primarily males, so pumping is just not understood/accounted for. If I were to do it again, I would definitely ask the hotel directly for a place to pump. I only had the battery pack and it just does not work the same way as an outlet. It is nice in a sense because I sat out there and listened to music and relaxed, but it took me twenty minutes to pump when it usually takes me ten.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thanks for the input. I've got a freestyle pump, so I don't need to worry about an outlet, thankfully. When I called the location, the guy offered me the bathroom. I'll probably just use the car, unless I can find a better solution. The site has free wireless, and it would be really cool to sit in my car and surf the web while pumping.

I'm also feeling kinda like a freak at this point, pumping for an almost 18 month old. A couple other women in my group had kids the same time as mine, and they stopped nursing a while ago. Oh well.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

You don't have to tell anyone that your baby is 18 months old. And stopping pumping doesn't equal stopping nursing.

Congrats to you for pumping this long!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months