Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Normal?

Default Normal?

Hi ladies,

I am new to the site. I've been pumping at work for my now 8 month old daughter since late August. I pump three times a day, at the same time (pretty much) every day. I noticed that by the third pumping session, I am getting only a fraction of what I would get in the morning. Often, I'll get between 4 and 5 ozs in the first session, 3 to 4 ozs in the second, and usually around 2 1/2 in the third.

Is this normal? I know that milk output decreases as the day goes on but I guess I'm just wondering if I can do anything to change it...I am right on the edge of being able to keep up with my daughter when she's at daycare. Also, I'm just curious if others have this experience. (Oh, and I should say, I have an Ameda Purely Yours Ultra double electric pump.)

Thanks for any info you can give me!

Default Re: Normal?

My understanding is that whether you're pumping or nursing, most people have more milk in the morning, just in general.

If you want to try to change that, you can always try to "teach" your body that you need more milk at that afternoon session by doing things like trying to hand express a little extra after the pumping session itself, or by trying for a couple of days to add a second, shorter pumping session in ~30 minutes after your normal afternoon pumping session.

Overall, though, I found that the biggest thing was to (1) nurse a ton when you're home, if you can, and (2) not stress too much about day to day fluctuations in milk. In fact, being "right on the edge" sounds to me like it means "balanced just right!" I worked long and changing hours, and constantly fretted - but in the end donated a bunch of milk because I was too worried about day to day drops to ever actually use my stash. When I finally relaxed about it, it became much easier and more fun.

Good luck!

It think it is normal. I pump more in the am sessions too. In my pm pumping session I use a compressions alot to get all the milk out.

I agree with 'rubyjunes' not too worry about it too much. Worrying and watching every drop makes it worse.

Also since you baby is 8 months old the daycare could offer her solids (or more solids) if they think she is still hungry after the bottle.
    Mom to DS born 2/2/10

We love
    We excusivley for 6 months now at work and at home

I definitely had a drop-off in supply around this age (more so after I got preg @ 8 mos ). It went from making 1-2 extra bottles per day, to making exactly what I needed, to having to supplement 2-3 bottles per week w/ stored milk (that's when I realilzed I was preg), to using all stored milk.

I would try not to worry about it. Easier said than done. One thing I suggested to a poster in another thread was trying to add a morning pump session on the weekend, if that would work in your family.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I always pumped twice as much in my morning session as my afternoon session. I think that's just normal. If you need to increase your total pumping output, then you can work on that, but you will probably continue to make more in the mornings, just because that is how our bodies seem to work.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for all the info, ladies! It's good to know it's normal...I think the thing I struggle with is that by Friday, my pumping output is a good 1-3 ounces less. Luckily, on Monday, after a weekend of nursing, my output is pretty dang good, so I manage to stay ahead or right on track for most of the week with that Monday a.m. pumping session. I also had a conversation with daycare, and asked them to try to work in solids and not to use breastmilk with cereals, etc. I think they were overfeeding her a little bit. Luckily her daycare is wonderful and very breastmilk/breastfeeding friendly.
    Last edited by @llli*rubyjunes.mom; December 8th, 2010 at 02:39 PM.