Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New mom questions!

Default New mom questions!

I am being induced on Thursday and plan on breastfeeding my little boy but have a few questions as I want to make sure we get off to the best possible start!
    1. At what point can I start pumping....I am planning on going back to work when he is 3 months old and would like to build up a stash in the freezer.
    2. How does pumping while your nursing work...do I nurse and then pump immediately afterwards to save whats left?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Default Re: New mom questions!

Hi there! Congratulations on your coming baby.

As far as pumping goes, it's usually best to wait a few weeks, maybe 4 or 5 before you start trying to pump. This is because your body needs a few weeks to start to adjust to your baby's needs, working on a supply and demand system. So if you start pumping too early it can cause an oversupply problem.

Once you do start pumping, if you are nursing and just pumping to build up a stash for work, you can pump after nursing once or maybe twice a day. Mornings are best for most moms because most women have a higher supply in the morning. Or if baby sleeps through a feeding you can pump then. Even if you've just pumped and baby wants to nurse there will always be milk for him or her, since your breasts are always producing. You don't have to worry about 'robbing' baby of his/her milk.

Here are a couple of really great links about getting started with nursing and common concerns in the early weeks.

Do you mind if I ask why you are getting induced? It can make a difference in the challenges you may face when getting started with nursing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with the PP (previous poster). She gives great advice!

I'm also curious why you're being induced. A lot of moms, especially first time moms, aren't adequately informed about the risk-benefit ratio of induction of labor. And as the PP said, whether or not you get induced can make a difference in the challenges you face. Not just your challenges in terms of nursing the baby, but the challenges you face in birthing the baby. Believe me, we're all in favor of necessary inductions and will not try to talk you out of something that is vital to the health and safety of you and your baby- but we want to make sure that what you're facing is necessary!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I will be 39 weeks on Thursday and the baby is getting on the bigger side, since I am already dialated to a 5 he said we could go ahead and induce with no problem.
    My first post might have been a little misleading...I have an 11 year old, but feel like I am doing this for the first time because it has been so long! With my first I only managed to breastfeed for 2 weeks but I am determined to stick it out this time.

Thanks for the advice!!!

You can do it! If you made it 2 weeks with your first, you can definitely go longer with this baby. And we'll be there for you, every step of the way!

Now, on to the induction.

Okay, so this may not be what you want to hear given that I'm guessing you're tired of being pregnant, maybe physically uncomfortable, and most of all eager to meet your new baby. But as long as there's no good medical reason to induce, there's no way I'd go for an induction based on the 2 criteria you mention above (baby being "on the bigger side" and being dilated to 5 cm). Here's why:
    1. Induced labors tend to be significantly more painful and more difficult than spontaneous births. Ask any mama who has labored with Pitocin and without and she will tell you that Pit contractions are hell compared to normal labor contractions.
    2. Induced labors are significantly more likely than spontaneous labors to require medical interventions, including nasty things like vacuum, forceps, episiotomy, and c-section. There's a "cascade of intervention" that can occur where one intervention, even a seemingly benign one, can rapidly necessitate another intervention which can generate the need for a subsequent intervention...
    3. Estimation of fetal weight is highly error-prone, with mean error in the range of 1-2 lbs. That baby who is "on the bigger side" might actually be on the smaller side. I know SO MANY mamas who have been told that their babies are huge only to deliver small or average-sized babies.
    4. Even if your baby is big, suspected fetal macrosomia (a.k.a. suspected big baby) is not considered a valid medical reason to induce labor. It does not improve outcomes for mother or baby, and generates an increased risk of ending up with a c-section (Check out this fairly technical but still quite readable article). And while large babies can be harder to birth, remember that the weight your baby is putting on now is fat, not bone. Unlike bone, fat squishes!
    5. 39 weeks is term. But what if you're not actually at 39 weeks? Dates can be off, sometimes by a lot! Babies born before 39 weeks have a much greater chance of having breathing problems or other medical issues which require them to spend time in the NICU. And )obviously) medical issues/NICU stays are very detrimental to breastfeeding.
    6. There's a reason why you are still pregnant. Labor begins spontaneously when both mama and baby are physically ready. The baby's lungs are all the way mature. The baby is in the optimum position to be born. The mama's pelvic structure is at its most relaxed and open. Why force labor to start before all these variables are optimized?
    7. Your doctor said you could go ahead and induce. And while he may have (and surely at least thinks that he has) your best interests and your baby's best interests at heart, induction of labor has significant incentives for him that are not necessarily good for you. A doc who induces labor gets to make his own hours- he doesn't need to show up at 2 am, he doesn't need to deliver a baby on a holiday weekend. And women who are induced can make nice, compliant patients- the doc can push whatever interventions he wants in order to feel in control of the woman's labor, and since inductions tend to be more painful, it's a good bet that the woman will opt for an epidural early, meaning the doc and nurses can kick back and watch the monitor strip instead of trying to help you manage labor in other ways. That's why many docs are eager to induce despite the significant risks.

If you read through all this and still feel that an induction is the best choice for you, I still encourage you to check out http://www.childbirth.org/interactive/induction.html and figure out your Bishop's score. If your score is low, I'd encourage you to wait.

I really hope I'm not coming off as some crazy lady who wants to talk you out of your ideal birth. Your baby, your body, your choice! But if your goal is a good breastfeeding experience, an easy birth will maximize your chances of success.

Wishing you a ton of ELVs (Easy Labor Vibes), whatever your birth choice may be!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh, how I wish mommal had been around before my labor was inducted.

ETA: I pumped a lot on my leave and had 200 oz in my stash. I have way too much. I really wouldn't worry much about pumping til your baby is 6 weeks old or more. I didn't do it til 6 weeks and still have tons of milk in my freezer. I couldn't pump til then because my head was in such a place and I had a really hard time starting nursing. Maybe due to my labor as mentioned above.y
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; December 7th, 2010 at 09:55 PM.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I don't pump because I'm a SAHM so no help with you there.

I was induced with pitocin so I can tell you, it's not a joyable time.
    If YOU (or your baby) have no medical reasons, please ask your doctor to re-think things.

(I was induced at 38 weeks because of pre-e.)

They were claiming my baby was going to be nine pounds and he came out at seven pounds, three ounces. WAY off.

I ended up having to have a c-section because the epidural made my contractions slack off.

Btw, congrats!
    Married to an awesome dude since 10-21-05
    Sylas Michael born 10-20-10

Delivered at 38 weeks because of pre-e. Healthy as can be and growing steady!

Are you able to pump at work when you go back? If so, you won't have to worry too much about building a stash. The theory is that you pump at work the same amt of times that you'd feed...then use that milk the next day. However, it is nice to have some as a back up so I'd agree with starting around 1-2 m.

With my first DD, I was really paranoid about having milk saved and pumped right away after each feeding. I had a lot frozen, but it wasn't really neccesary and was stressful. Now w/ #2 I only pump if one side goes awhile w/o her nusing or if she naps/sleeps longer than normal and I need relief. Its much more relaxing an rewarding to use the time after feeding for snuggles rather than pumping.
    Currently breastfeeding DD#2 - born Nov 19, 2010.

what i have done is feed my LO from one breast then pump the other after the feeding. Switch breast at next feeding. This has also helped me gage how much she is eating